UKC

Sports bras?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 marsbar 28 Mar 2015
The days are getting longer and I feel the need to do some proper exercise. I think I will try to get to bravissimo because I tried on all of the ones in M+S and they seemed to be very difficult to get on, totally unflattering, and yet still didn't keep things under control bounce wise.

Any recommendations or thoughts from the UKC ladies or husbands etc?

Needs to be available in larger cup sizes.

climbingpixie 28 Mar 2015
In reply to marsbar:

Don't know what size they can do but I really like my shock absorber sports bra. Seems to do the trick on my 34DDs anyway.
 Dave the Rave 28 Mar 2015
In reply to marsbar:
I tape mine up with duct tape. Firm and pert as an 18 year olds.
OP marsbar 28 Mar 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Removing the tape really doesn't appeal.
OP marsbar 28 Mar 2015
In reply to climbingpixie:

Thanks, I will try that.
 Gone 28 Mar 2015
In reply to marsbar:

For me, what it looks like is only important if it looks enough like a crop top for me to run with nothing else on top in the summer. If it looks like underwear then it doesn't matter whether it looks nice or not as nobody is going to see it on me. I guess the amount of shape it gives you under the shirt could be a consideration though.

I have a comfy M&S one with an underwire that I would like to wear when running but don't as the underwire stops my heart rate strap working.

Shock absorber work well on me. Debenhams and some sports shops sell them as well as Bravissimo.

I once had a scary experience in a small sports shop that had a half price sale on some over-the-head Shock Absorbers that were a size smaller than I usually wear and a different shape. Worth a try, I thought, and promptly got the damn thing stuck half on half off in a tiny changing cubicle with the only visible member of staff being a young man. I got myself out of it with some wriggling, but it was a worrying few moments.
 jon 28 Mar 2015
In reply to marsbar:

Mrs J says try lessbounce.com
Always remember the old adage - sport bras are neither.
In reply to Gone:
Your rack seems fine to me?
 girlymonkey 28 Mar 2015
In reply to Gone:

Lol, I have had this problem trying on clothes, although fortunately not bras! My problem is that my back muscles are huge, so a top will go on fine (back muscles are relaxed at this point), but when you try to pull the top up to take it off, your back muscles tense and I get stuck! I have now learnt which types of tops are likely to be problematic, but have had a few changing room panics!!
 The Lemming 28 Mar 2015
In reply to marsbar:

Maybe I could offer some distance?

I've been told that I have healing hands.
OP marsbar 28 Mar 2015
In reply to Gone:

I had trouble getting out of a drysuit that was too small, again no option of help as no female staff. I had forgotten about that traumatic experience!!
OP marsbar 28 Mar 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

If your hands are so magical they can stop my boobs bouncing from several hundred miles away then go for it.

Any nearer and I will set the dog on you
 iccle_bully 28 Mar 2015
In reply to marsbar:

Another vote for shock absorber. Who cares what it looks like or what shape it gives you, most important thing for me is always comfort and whether or not it stops them bouncing.
In reply to marsbar:

> If your hands are so magical they can stop my boobs bouncing from several hundred miles away then go for it.

> Any nearer and I will set the dog on you

Now there's a challenge Lemming.
 The Lemming 29 Mar 2015

I don't want people to think that I am some kind of perv
 RoK 29 Mar 2015
In reply to marsbar:
The lady in question in the softshell trouser thread has just arrived in with a New Balance sports bra. I thought they only made runners but there you go.
Does the job very well. It does seem like it won't wick well though. It'll be OK if you're just out for a run I'm sure but for anything longer than an hour it might be a bit clammy.
Definitely worth a look.
Post edited at 08:08
OP marsbar 29 Mar 2015
In reply to iccle_bully:

I don't care what it looks like. It was more that the m and s ones looked like they had squashed everything and yet still didn't work. I would like comfortable if such a thing is possible.
OP marsbar 29 Mar 2015
In reply to RoK:

That's worth a try as well then
 The Potato 29 Mar 2015
In reply to marsbar:

my wife uses the shock absorber one for general exercise use and she finds them comfortable something like a 34c? dont know how effective they are on bigger ones tho
 wert 29 Mar 2015
In reply to marsbar:

Try looking at Odlo sports bras. Very comfy. Try before you buy though because they generally size up smaller than average.
 Toerag 29 Mar 2015
In reply to marsbar:

My missus rates the Anita ones, not sure which version she wears though.
http://www.anita.com/shop/en_global/products/bra.html?cat=1001000&p=1
 Timmd 29 Mar 2015
In reply to marsbar:
If you don't mind taking a punt for the cost of a couple of London pints JJB are having a liquidation sale at the mo.

http://www.jjbsports.com/ladies/ladies-underwear#dcp=2&dppp=24&OrderBy=rank

Edit; Or there's some kind of sale on, my mind is lack-of-sleep addled...
Post edited at 23:08
 deepsoup 29 Mar 2015
> Your rack seems fine to me?

Quick reality check here..
Unless you know syv_k and are sharing some kind of private joke, you do realise this post is a wee bit creepy right?
 Gone 30 Mar 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

I don't know this man, and when having a generally respectful women-centred discussion, I thought it poor taste for a man to barge in and start leering. I'm glad it is not just me thought that!
OP marsbar 30 Mar 2015
In reply to Gone:

Quite.
 cat22 30 Mar 2015
In reply to marsbar:

+1 for Shock Absorber, particularly this one: http://www.shockabsorber.co.uk/en/products/active-range/active-multi-sports...

Amazing for running/other high-impact stuff. I've seen them occasionally in department stores and sport shops in large sizes, as well as in Bravissimo.
 Dave the Rave 30 Mar 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

> Quick reality check here..

> Unless you know syv_k and are sharing some kind of private joke, you do realise this post is a wee bit creepy right?

Climbing rack!
 RoK 30 Mar 2015
In reply to marsbar:

Just a quick note on the New Balance bra. It was used yesterday in the gym and worked well. As I had guessed it does hang on to sweat though and doesn't wick well.
Not sure is that a problem with them all. Anything with any amount of elastane is going to have that issue I reckon.
 Dave the Rave 30 Mar 2015
In reply to Sylv and others:
I'm really sorry for my post. I did not intend to cause offence.
Please accept my apologies.

Tall Clare 30 Mar 2015
In reply to marsbar:

I've just started using Moving Comfort sports bras - they're American, so I buy online. I'm pleased with the two I have - one has back clasps so is easier to get on and off. They also come in cheerful colours rather than the usual black or (inevitably) greyish-white, if that matters.
 climbingpixie 30 Mar 2015
In reply to cat22:

I'm pretty sure that's the one I have (although, alas, mine isn't hot pink). Having the 2 clasps really helps to hold everything in place without uncomfortable squashage. I also like that it's not too bra-like and provides enough coverage to wear on its own when its hot.

I don't think they're great for wicking though. I've found mine can get quite wet on a sweaty walk in, which can be a problem if I'm then going to climb somewhere cool. In fact I ended up removing it to walk up to Pavey last year and putting it back on when I got there (insert racking up joke here) to avoid the cold sweaty bra problem.
OP marsbar 06 Apr 2015
In reply to marsbar:

Well if anyone is interested I got a Freya in the end. Good range of sizes and fits well, comfy all day, keeps the bounce under control and wicks so not clammy. Not cheap but I'm happy with it.
OP marsbar 06 Apr 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I tried them but they must have been designed by someone who knows what a sports bra looks like. No support at all.
 The Lemming 06 Apr 2015
In reply to marsbar:

Pictures, I need pictures.

Purely for research reasons, you understand.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...