UKC

Skye trip in April

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Abu777 28 Mar 2015
Planning a week on Skye in the middle of April. Wondering what I can expect in terms of weather/conditions. Is there still snow on the tops? Would like to get some scrambling and hill walking in, possibly climbing if I can find a willing partner.

Would also like some advice on walking routes and which maps provide good coverage of the island - particularly around the Cuillins.
In reply to Abu777:

Sun, blue sky, black clouds, torrential rain, hail, sleet, snow etc are all likely in April, possibly all in the same week.

There may well be snow on the hills, in fact I once did a winter traverse of the Cuillin Ridge in April and it was in perfect winter condition.

The best map for the Cuillins is the Harvey one.
 Joak 28 Mar 2015
In reply to Abu777:

>

> Would also like some advice on walking routes and which maps provide good coverage of the island - particularly around the Cuillins.

As well as the excellent Harvey's map, given the complex nature of the terrain, the SMC guide book "Skye Scrambles" is totally invaluable when in, on, or around the Cuillin. Weather wise, unless you are lucky, (and it does happen!) mid April you can expect lots of weather, the majority of which will be of the "challenging" variety
 Mike Lates 29 Mar 2015
In reply to Abu777:

We've been in & out of full winter all season; yesterday full on, today 10deg & only old snow left but forecast is cold for next week or so. Classic alpine spring; you could easily get good mixed conditions but equally perhps dry ridges with runnels of black ice. Mountain rock climbing likely 2 b perverse but seacliffs have already been very generous with dry rock & sunny bays.
Carrying crampons up with you very wise. You may get the hang of snow-free sections (the crest hasn't been plastered all season), north being whiter, but don't fall for it not looking very white from the ground until you've been up there once or twice to make sure. I've got SMC Cuillin guidebooks for sale if you struggle to find them. Have fun & let us know how it goes. Mike
 Kimono 29 Mar 2015
In reply to Stephen Reid - Needle Sports:

> Sun, blue sky, black clouds, torrential rain, hail, sleet, snow etc are all likely in April, possibly all in the same week.

in the same hour even!

OP Abu777 29 Mar 2015
In reply to Abu777:

Thanks all - sounds like it will be an exciting week! I've no experience of winter conditions or crampon use, so may have to steer clear of the mountain tops - unless I can find some willing individual to show me the ropes I guess. Will borrow some winter gear for the trip anyway, see how brave I'm feeling once I get there! I was looking at that Skye scrambles book - will pick up a copy.

Is there a definitive rock climbing guide for the island?

Looking forward to it. I'd like to at least get up one or two of the Cuillin peaks, as ideally I'd like to go back later in the year for a full ridge attempt (summer) and need to get a feel for how my fitness level is stacking up to the challenge.
 drsdave 29 Mar 2015
In reply to Abu777:

Abu777 with just reading your honest and open admission to a lack of winter experience and having just returned from there and totally agree with Stephen Reids weather comments, hire a guide mate, honest or stick to the Red Cuillin. A guide will give you a valuable insight into this mountain which doesn't suffer fools at this fickle time of year.
OP Abu777 29 Mar 2015
In reply to drsdave:

Yep that is good advice - will probably do that actually, as will definitely make it a safer and positive learning experience, rather than a potential disaster!! Don't worry, I have a very low tolerance of risk so won't be doing anything stupid
 Simon Caldwell 29 Mar 2015
In reply to Abu777:

> Is there a definitive rock climbing guide for the island?

Two - one for the Cuillin, the other for the rest of the island
 BnB 29 Mar 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

There is a huge amount a climbing in the easier grades (below VS) throughout the Cuillin in the most spectacular locations imaginable. And Skye Scrambles features a large number of routes at grades from scrambling up to vDiff. For a first visit this guide is all you'll need, although the Cuillin BMC guide has some fantastic routes in the slightly harder "Classic Rock" grades of vDiff to Hard Severe as well as much beyond. The coastal cliffs/outcrops guide has surprisingly little in the easier grades and only really gets going at Extreme, where the climber is very well provided for.
estivoautumnal 29 Mar 2015
In reply to Abu777:

Late April often brings easterly winds giving stable, cool and dry weather for a week or so. I've had some great climbing and sailing trips around Skye in April. It's pot luck though. Just now it's pissing down and chilly and windy.
OP Abu777 29 Mar 2015
In reply to estivoautumnal:

Here's hoping!!
 Simon Caldwell 30 Mar 2015
In reply to BnB:

I don't doubt that you could get by with the scrambling guide, but I was answering the question "Is there a definitive rock climbing guide for the island?"

> The coastal cliffs/outcrops guide has surprisingly little in the easier grades and only really gets going at Extreme

Climbing exclusively sub-Extreme (and mostly sub-HVS) we've used it for 2 days at Suidhe Biorach and 3 at Neist where we've barely scratched the surface!

BnB 30 Mar 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Don't worry Simon, my response wasn't aimed at correcting your information, just providing skills and experience-appropriate advice to the OP. Away from Sonamara there's a certain seriousness to the locations you mentioned (tides, abseil access) not to mention the express interest in the Cuillin.

I'm off there myself this weekend and looking forward to whatever we get up to.
 Mike Lates 30 Mar 2015
In reply to BnB:

Intrigued by this BMC guidebook with V diff to hard severe & upwards Julian?
Do you perhaps mean the definitive SMC Cuillin book that has descriptions for every grade from walks in the Red Cuillin to classic scrambles, climbs up to E8 and winter?
 BnB 30 Mar 2015
In reply to Mike Lates:

Yep. That's the one, must get round to congratulating the author for his excellent tome one day

Apologies for the colonial-looking "B", a genuine slip of the typewriter!!

I'm sure your reply has tongue at least slightly in cheek but I was just trying to convey to the OP that for routes of vDiff and below, Noel's book is a great starting point, while acknowledging that yours is the definitive article (particularly in the classic grades but maybe that's just a reflection of my limitations as a climber!!)
 Mike Lates 31 Mar 2015
In reply to BnB:
Plenty tongue in cheek J. Ironically I'm happier with the descriptions & accuracy of the Ridge & lower grade routes than any other part. I recognised that low grade climbers needed more detail than someone climbing say HVS so that they didn't get into trouble. Descriptions had become a bit "Its up there"ish! Exploring an obscure traditional Cuillin V Diff is quite an experience and quite a few got upgraded as a consequence.
 BnB 31 Mar 2015
In reply to Mike Lates:

> Exploring an obscure traditional Cuillin V Diff is quite an experience and quite a few got upgraded as a consequence.

Think I might be doing a bit of that with my son next week if the forecast is to be trusted

Tam O'Bam 31 Mar 2015
In reply to Abu777:

Navigation can be fun on the Cuillin. Compass is usually pretty useless, so do make sure you keep track of where you are. If the vis disappears quickly, you need to know.

Have a great trip.
 Mike Lates 31 Mar 2015
In reply to BnB:

Silly quantities of snow & ice again today. Ridge crests look the place to be if it does warm up but expect fairly full-on winter.
 BnB 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Mike Lates:

Sounds good, Mike, though probably all gone by the time we arrive. Won't be hitting the ridge before Monday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...