UKC

North Wales conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Shorty83 31 Mar 2015
Does anyone know what conditions are like in North Wales at the moment for scrambling?

I'm planning on going scrambling at the weekend with some mates but they do not have winter gear (crampons/ice axes). Only going to do easy stuff but do I need to be avoiding the higher peaks? And does anyone have route suggestions for easy stuff?

Thanks in advance
In reply to Shorty83:

There's hardly any snow left. it's been very very windy recently but the forecast is improving. For easy scrambles, you can't go far wrong with ogwen valley - Tryfan, Bristly ridge, Y Gribyn, Y garn, Foel Goch all have some great G1/2 scrambles.
 The Potato 31 Mar 2015
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
Definately a lot of choice around Lake Ogwen, plenty of routes up Tryfan and a car park right at its base.
If youve time and energy aplenty then scramble up tryfan and continue up bristly ridge is a good combination.
Pen yr ole wen also has some decent scrambling and seems less visited despite starting from the roadside.

Conditions - windy

edit - sometimes Carnedd Moel Siabod is clear when the main mountain groups are in cloud, theres a bit of scrambling to be had there too either up the main front of Moel Siabod or up Daear Ddu
Post edited at 16:11
OP Shorty83 31 Mar 2015
Thanks guys.
I saw a post on here saying it was quite snowy on Crib Goch last week and axe/crampons were recommended so I thought I'd check beforehand.

Also one of my mates is a bit of a wimp and I don't want to scare him too much.

In reply to Shorty83:

There was no snow on Tryfan this weekend. there was one patch of snow I could see from Idwal on Y garn but nothing on the East ridge.
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

It's a bit variable today - severe gales (97mph over night at Capel curig) and intermittent very heavy rain / hail at sea level.

Hardly any snow to be seen on the Carneddau or most of the Glyders/Tryfan but at times some extensive whiteness on Snowdon - lots of hail round though so it may all be very temporary.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...