UKC

Anybody done the Ecuadorian Volcanoes + Chimborazo ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sbc_10 31 Mar 2015
Evening everybody,

Was wondering if anybody could recommend from first hand experience a good guided trek or expedition company that climbs the Equadorian Volcanoes including a trip up Chimborazo.
Quite a few firms do Cotopaxi but not Chimborazo.
Hoping to travel out July / early August this year.

Many thanks in advance.

Sean.
 Claudia 01 Apr 2015
In reply to sbc_10:

I strongly suggest Veloz Coronado Expediciones, based in Riobamba.

http://www.velozexpeditions.com/
email info@velozexpeditions.com

I spent some time talking to Enrique (who set us the business but does less guiding nowadays) and then to his son Ivo (who speaks good English) and I liked them very much. They both love mountains and mountaineering, are extremely experienced, and just want others to enjoy them too. (In contrast to the impression I got of other companies.) They were honest and this well established family-run business is exactly the one I would choose.

I hope you go for it and have a brilliant experience.
Do make sure you are acclimatised first!
 sillysquiggle 01 Apr 2015
In reply to sbc_10:

Hi Sean. I'm in Ecuador in July working but then have 2 weeks to explore in August (5th to 19th I think). I'm planning on some lower level, independent trekking but also want to do one or two big peaks while I'm there. I'll be looking for a guided trip, ideally with some solid skills tuition included.
Message me if you want to swap info or meet up out there.
In reply to sbc_10:

I'm out there in July for a month with a group. we're going to do the Quilotoa loop over 5 days I think.
OP sbc_10 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Claudia:

Thanks Claudia,
Thats one which did not show up on my web searches. Your recommendation sounds great, especially their love of the mountains and local experience. I shall enquire further. Cheers.
OP sbc_10 01 Apr 2015
In reply to sillysquiggle:

Hi Sillysquiggle,
I'll check my diary and holiday dates. I like the idea of trekking first and then tackling the mountains. If you are working there you will be suitably acclimatised, as Claudia mentioned above I am slightly fearful of arriving at the airport and not making it down the aircraft steps without supplementary oxygen(!).
It will be good to compare plans and strategies. Thanks.

sillysquiggle 02 Apr 2015
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

> I'm out there in July for a month with a group. we're going to do the Quilotoa loop over 5 days I think.

Me too! School group?
 sillysquiggle 02 Apr 2015
In reply to sbc_10:

Hi Sean, I've replied to your email.
You'll be fine making it down the steps. But don't try to run back up them.
Definitely take the time to get acclimatised. Quito is great for that, theres some good walks nearby. Plus the teleferico will take you from the city up to almost 4000m! Many of the guiding companies I've looked into may not even take you near Chimborazo if you've only just arrived.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...