UKC

New Bronze DofE route,any suggestions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
duckman 01 Apr 2015
Ok, I am sick of walking around Tarfside and would like to take the school group I run (coastal Angus) a little further afield. Does anyboy have any suggestions for a wee change? Perthshire of Fife would be ace.
 OMR 02 Apr 2015
In reply to duckman:

Any clues on time, distance, terrain or altitude limitations?
 marsbar 02 Apr 2015
In reply to duckman:

Whatever happened to participants choosing routes? I thought the point of d of e was to encourage independence, not just to send them off on a standard route.
duckman 02 Apr 2015
In reply to OMR:

I am an ML,but Angus council don't like Bronze groups above 600m. I am expecting them to do approx 20-25k over the two days.

"Whatever happened to participants choosing routes? I thought the point of d of e was to encourage independence, not just to send them off on a standard route."

I can't really comment,as in the 11 years I have been doing it,we have given them two points on a map and told them to plan a route between one and the other,which is what I could be doing this year. Perhaps you have a area you can suggest for a change?
 rubble 02 Apr 2015
In reply to duckman:
What about looking at parts of The Cateran Trail ... or even go to the Council and ask for a look at previous "approved" routes for a wee bit inspiration ... after all they must have loads on file.
ceri 02 Apr 2015
In reply to rubble: I don't know the Cateran Trail but DofE isn't supposed to used waymarked trails e.g. the pennine way is out of bounds.

Hyphin 03 Apr 2015
In reply to duckman:

Obviously not in Perthshire or Fife, but Ochils?
 OMR 03 Apr 2015
In reply to duckman:
Not sure if the Cateran Trail is a waymarked one. It's listed on this website, as are a number of recognised (but not necessarily waymarked) routes. http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/
Post edited at 11:09
 Bob Aitken 03 Apr 2015
In reply to duckman:

Dollar or Tillicoultry to Blackford, over the Ochils, with a camp somewhere about Maddy Moss, is quite a standard Bronze venture. Feels quite wild for youngsters who haven't been much in the hills, but has safe exit routes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...