UKC

Recommend me a collapsible fishing rod

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 05 Apr 2015
I'm after a collapsible fishing rod, ideally one the goes as small as possible but can go out to 7-8ft. Should be usable for sea and fresh water fishing.

All the ones I've been able to find online look more like kids ones than anything that will last.

Promise I won't use it as a clip stick.

R
 Clarence 06 Apr 2015
In reply to Roberttaylor:

You are probably looking at a travel spinning rod casting around 40-50g, usable for feathering and spinning in the sea and spinning or ledgering (at a pinch) in freshwater. Personally I would go for something in the 9'-10' range to increase castability. Daiwa Megaforce, Shimano Vengeance and Shakespeare Sigma are all pretty good.
OP Roberttaylor 06 Apr 2015
In reply to Clarence:

Will this be suitable for mackerel fishing as well? As in, strong enough.

I've had several cheap telescopics from decathlon. All telescopics have limitations compared to a 'real' rod, but I've had strings of 6 mackerel and a 7lb Bass on mine (off the kayak) and can cast lures for trout / bass pretty accurately.
 Clarence 06 Apr 2015

A spinning rod will usually be capable of handling a 20lb pike on lines up to 15lb breaking strain, mackerel should be well within its capabilities. My "holiday rod" is a 10' Shakespeare Agility EXP Spin on which I have replaced the tip ring with a threaded one to take a screw-in quiver tip. The rings are not good enough for braid but they are fine for ordinary monofil up to 15lb and I keep a cheap fixed spool reel with three spools, 15lb for sea fishing and spinning, 8lb for feeder fishing and 5lb for float fishing. I can use a 3lb bottom with a bit of care and it will cast a float around 3bb+ for stillwaters or commercials. At 10' a bit of river trotting is just about possible. Everything is a bit of a compromise, you can't use it for beachcasting, boat fishing or delicate float work but it covers about 80% of holiday fishing and I often take an Orvis Frequent Flyer #6 fly rod for another 10% coverage. For boat fishing I can usually hire kit on board and beachcasting is not something I have ever enjoyed so I look elsewhere.
Moley 06 Apr 2015

Everything Clarence says really, but it depends how much use you intend getting, your fishing experience and how much you want to pay.
Choice of either telescopic (which are frequently cheap) or 4 piece rods (usually more expensive. I build my own rods on British blanks and have 4 piece fly rods and a 4 piece general purpose coarse fishing rod (Avon type, be fine for sea spinning), also a 2 piece 5'6" very light spinning rod (for trout, though I had a 5lb carp on it yesterday).
All the above fit into small plastic tubes and go into my hiking rucksack when out in the hills, I take whichever I want. As a keen angler I can justify the expensive outlay, but you may not wish to.
Have a good think about your main use for the rod and then decide, mainly down to expense.
 Hay 06 Apr 2015
An Abu Garcia Salmo-Seeker should do everything you need it to do.
OP Roberttaylor 06 Apr 2015
In reply to Hay:

I want this for the name alone.

Moley 06 Apr 2015

> I want this for the name alone.

Tackle tart
 Tobes 06 Apr 2015

I'd also recommend a 4 piece rod if you can go the extra expense. I've caught codling to 5lb, mackerel on feathers, pollock etc using mine (Ron Thompson/gets a mixed response from the tackle tarts) from boats and shore. Easy to down climb to rocks when it's in the pack. it's a decent blank, plays fish well and has enough power to move fish off rocks or the sea bed. It's 9ft and casts 30-60gs bends double with a decent fish on!

I've got a 4 piece fly rod which I take to hill lochs, perfect for putting in a pack but a decent rod (Grays) for fishing with none the less.

Have had a telescopic in the past, was ok but fell apart after a few years use.

Whatever you choose, tight lines!

gergosantha 06 Apr 2015

Savage Gear Bushwacker 8' 15-50g
mick taylor 07 Apr 2015
In reply to gergosantha:

Savage Gear Roadrunner - 4 piece (bushwacker 2 piece, I think). Gets great reviews.

Depends on your budget, but I use Harrissportsmail for virtually all my fishing tackle. Tacklebargains has good economy rods.

As others said, 4 piece better than telescopic. Make sure you get the correct grip/reel fittings (i.e. trigger grip for baitcaster reels, normal fittings for fixed spool reels).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...