UKC

Identify a bird for me by song

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 planetmarshall 10 Apr 2015
I was out running near Castle Naze the other day, didn't have my glasses so couldn't see it clearly - it had a very distinctive call, a series of whistles at different pitches that sounded a lot like a radio being tuned. Thought it might have been a lapwing, as I saw a few of those around.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Andrew.
 Adrien 10 Apr 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

I can't really help you but if you have any suspicions as to what it could be, this website has lots of recordings of bird songs, hope that helps: http://www.the-birds.net/
 L.A. 10 Apr 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:Most probably. Theres a lot of Lapwings around Combs Moss just now and especially over towards Wythen Lache farm on the road down from White Hall to Whaley

toad 10 Apr 2015
skylark was my first thought. Try Vaughan Williams for a proper version (the Lark Ascending)

or this

youtube.com/watch?v=sFdra5lfa44&

lapwing
youtube.com/watch?v=Te10HfbBycw&
Post edited at 09:57
 Alyson 10 Apr 2015

A curlew has a distinctive whistling call with notes which change in pitch, a bit like tuning past a radio station. If you take a listen to a lapwing and it doesn't sound right then you could try curlew.
In reply to toad:

Yep, lapwing certainly. Cheers.

Andrew.
In reply to L.A.:

> ....especially over towards Wythen Lache farm on the road down from White Hall to Whaley

Exactly where I was.

andymac 10 Apr 2015

Rhianna
 L.A. 10 Apr 2015
In reply to andymac: Yeah shes definitely a tit !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...