UKC

Zillertal sport / bouldering - which guidebook?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Short&Savage 10 Apr 2015
Thinking of heading there in a couple of weeks (flying to Munich so roughly equidistant for Frankenjura and for Zillertal we think??) - Any recommendations? Which guidebook should we get? - I've had a look on google but so far the information I'm getting are general tourist sites and a slightly old planetfear article.

Thanks!
 AlanLittle 10 Apr 2015
In reply to Short&Savage:

This one:

http://www.amazon.de/ZILLERTAL-Klettern-Bouldern-Markus-Schwaiger/dp/392802...

One of the few Euro-topo style guides I've seen that's comparable to a good British definitive guide in terms of obvious love for the area, sense of history, general quirkiness.

(Not that this will help you much if you can't read it of course)
 Franco Cookson 11 Apr 2015
In reply to Short&Savage:

Yeah, it's a class guide and the kind of thing you can use even if you can't understand German - good maps and topos. If you want to hang fire till you get to Munich, you'll easy pick one up there. Any of the massive outdoor shops near Marienplatz will have it. I'd definitely recommend the Zillertal. It's amazing.
 Rich K 11 Apr 2015
In reply to Franco Cookson:

The photo on the cover is different in the edition I've got but the directions to the crags are in English as well as German. In a few places such as Knorren near Mayrhofen there was a sign by the crag with the topo.
 AlanLittle 11 Apr 2015
In reply to Rich K:
I have the previous edition too. You're right, crag directions are in English. But the non-German reader is missing out on things like the anecdotes about local '80s nutter Luggi Rieser (trad 8a+ ground-up on the Marmolada etc)
Post edited at 18:57

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...