UKC

Pembrokeshire firing times and access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pec 11 Apr 2015
I intend to climb In Pembrokeshire next Friday (17th) and according to the information I've found, the road from Bosherton to St. Govans will be open whilst the road to Stack Rocks will be closed.
In practice what does this actually mean in terms of accessible crags? Ideally I'd like to climb at Saddle Head or Stennis Head if possible.
Sorry if I'm being a bit dim but from the information in the guidebook (Rockfax) it doesn't seem entirely clear how the road closures affect these crags and I've no past experience to go on as I've only climbed around St. David's before.
Thanks.
 Wil Treasure 11 Apr 2015
In reply to pec:

It means you won't be able to climb on any of the crags West of chapel cove, which includes both of those. St Govan's and Trevallen will be open if the road is. If the road its shut too then Mowing Word and Mother Careys are two options.

Sometimes they stop firing at a reasonable hour and let you into the range early, say 3pm, worth keeping an eye on the red flags if you're at st govs.
In reply to pec:
> I intend to climb In Pembrokeshire next Friday (17th) and according to the information I've found, the road from Bosherton to St. Govans will be open whilst the road to Stack Rocks will be closed.

Saddle and stennis probably closed then, but it is always worth checking in the morning, sometimes they finish their exercise early or change their plans and open up.

Even if closed during the day they will almost certainly open at 5.00pm (sometimes earlier), and that will allow access to saddle or stennis they are only a 10 min walk from St Govan's car park and you could be climbing till 8.30 if the weather is fine.

Until they open up range east you will be confined to mowing word, st Govan's east, st Govan's and trevallan.
Post edited at 23:56
OP pec 12 Apr 2015
In reply to pec:

Thanks for the advice, that makes it a lot clearer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...