UKC

Honister Slate Quarry Via Ferattas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 21 Apr 2015
Anyone done them?

They seem VERY expensive at £35 for the ordinary route and £39.50 for the extreme route. No discount for doing both.

It's just that we will be climbing in the Lakes next month and wondered whether to do one or possibly both on a day off?

Opinions please from those who have done them. Are they worth the money?
 mockerkin 21 Apr 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Stay away, if you encourage them they will be installing banana slides and illuminations next and piped music.
 Marcus Tierney 21 Apr 2015
In reply to Trangia:

spend the money on some new gear then go up and park at Honister, walk round to Gillercombe Buttress and do that instead. I have not done the VF but I am sure its just an experience for non climbers. Unlike the VF's in the Alps which are a hoot !
 MG 21 Apr 2015
In reply to Trangia:

The basic one is very tame but goes through some interesting old workings.
 shantaram 21 Apr 2015
In reply to Trangia:

I have done both. As a climber you would find the ordinary VF very disappointing. It's basically a protected path. The 'extreme' is also very average/rubbish compared to most Alpine and Dolomite VF's. If you've never done a VF before you might enjoy it, but personally I'd say save your money and do an easy rock climb or scramble instead on your day off.
 Wainers44 22 Apr 2015
In reply to Trangia:

No they are not like alpine VF, but we took a group there last year and everyone really enjoyed the extreme one. Don't bother with the basic.

We booked through Keswick Adventure Centre who were brilliant and worked out a bit cheaper than going to Honister direct.

It's something a bit different, not alpine VF mind blowing, but worthwhile none the less.
 Turbo tommy 22 Apr 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Whilst they are fairly expensive, especially if you are paying for the whole family, I did think they were surprisingly good. Some of the sections of the extreme were surprisingly 'exposed'

That said, pretty tame compared to european ones, and the neverending H&S talks can be annoying
 goose299 22 Apr 2015
In reply to Trangia:

I'm sure you can do it at night for free.
Just don't let em catch you
 Oujmik 22 Apr 2015
In reply to Trangia:

We did the extreme on a rain day, haven't done the other one but the extreme was pretty tame so I wouldn't bother. It's fun enough for what it is, but compared to just going climbing it is expensive. I'd say if you want a half-day out to take the family or some non-climbing friends then it's worth a bash, otherwise you might find it a bit disappointing. It's completely non-technical (you're standing on metal or the ground all the time) but in a couple of places it is fairly exposed and physical (climbing slightly overhanging stemple ladders and traversing along steep faces, plus the wire bridge). It's also rather short, you could easily get round it in 30mins solo or in a small group.
OP Trangia 22 Apr 2015
In reply to All:

Thanks to everyone. It looks as though it would be disappointing compared to Via Ferrata I have done in the Alps, so I will give it a miss.

trollman 25 Apr 2015
In reply to Trangia
i was booked up with six mates in march, i busted my ankle the day before so had to sit n watch, they wouldnt even give me a gift voucher so i could come back in the summer, tight gits!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...