UKC

Northumberland in the rain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robbiobaby 23 Apr 2015
We are planning to climb in the Northumberland region this weekend and while Saturday looks like the rain will hold Sunday looks wet.

Does anyone have suggestions for wet weather climbing? Any caves to boulder in? Anything good to explore in walking boots and ropes?

Or any suggestions whatsoever for alternative things to do?

Cheers,
 lummox 23 Apr 2015
In reply to Robbiobaby:

I can say from bitter personal experience that it's possible to boulder at Kyloe In in very heavy rain. Otherwise, go for a soggy walk on the beach ? Browse Barter Books in Alnwick ?
 tehmarks 23 Apr 2015
In reply to Robbiobaby:

I can say from bitter personal experience that you don't want to be stuck at Simonside in very heavy rain! Depending on how wet wet is, Causey is quite sheltered - but equally you get crap from the top of the crag washing down after particularly grim weather. If it's just a bit drizzly, Causey should stay nicely dry.
Removed User 23 Apr 2015
In reply to Robbiobaby:

Castles! Lots of castles.
 SteveSBlake 23 Apr 2015
In reply to Robbiobaby:

I may be teaching you to suck eggs, but it's best to keep off the sandstone when it's wet (or damp), holds snap, footholds erode and ropes groove the tops. Kyloe Out and Back Bowden are the obvious venues where it may stay dry under the low overhangs. Depending on the direction of the rain, and it's intensity Heckley may work.
 MJAngry 24 Apr 2015
In reply to Robbiobaby:

Goat Crag has got a nice big roof section.

Depends when / where / direction of weather.

If rain is stuck on coast, head into Great Wanney etc. brill underused crags.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...