UKC

Anyone ever do a coarse with www.expeditionmedicine.co.uk?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Aigen 25 Apr 2015
I am just wondering if anyone has ever done a coarse with expedition medicine? I was thinking of doing the Polar coarse in Norway next year but would like to know if its any good.

http://www.expeditionmedicine.co.uk/index.php/products/event/p-00181.html
 JayPee630 25 Apr 2015
In reply to Aigen:

What level of medical training do you have, and what's your reason for doing the course out of interest?
OP Aigen 25 Apr 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

I am a doctor. I like holidays where I can have a balance of learning and outdoor activity.
 JayPee630 25 Apr 2015
In reply to Aigen:
GP, ED, or something else?

My take on those trips are that they're very much geared towards the holiday element, with a bit of medical stuff thrown in for interest, and looking at the program that's what they seem to cover. (And that's the take of the few people I've known do them - doctors wanting a holiday with some medical interest thrown in.)

If you're keen to work in a remote setting as a HCP there's better courses, but they're less holiday and much harder work.

Think if you want to do a trip with Raleigh or something similar they'd help with that, but not for more commercial work in remote areas.
Post edited at 13:31
OP Aigen 25 Apr 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

I am a surgeon with 3-4 years of ER work when I graduated. Can you post a link to this Raleigh organization please? I have no interested in changing career path to work in remote medicine.
 JayPee630 25 Apr 2015
In reply to Aigen:
Is doing the course just an interest thing then combined with a holiday? Here's a link for some of the roles that Raleigh have for medics https://raleighinternational.org/what-we-do/raleigh-expeditions/aged-25-and...

I work in remote medicine so have a bit of a different take on these kind of courses and those kind of voluntary/paid trip kind of 'expeditions'.
Post edited at 17:09
 liam007 25 Apr 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

Hey JayPee, what courses would you recommend, that are much harder but less holiday for a HCP with aspirations to work in remote medicine? I'm currently a paramedic with 8 years prehospital experience.

Thanks

Liam
In reply to Aigen:

A 'coarse' what?
Much prefer to do a 'course' with them....... sorry, I'll put the little grammar chap back in his box !
 JayPee630 26 Apr 2015
In reply to liam007:
There's only one course that's recognised as being valuable for the remote setting (and that will help you get employment) and that's the HSE Offshore/Remote medics course.

To be able to attend you have to be a registered nurse, paramedic, ODP, or military (CMT1) medic with 2/3 years experience.

It's a 4 week course, 2 weeks in a classroom (in part of which you do your ALS and PHTLS courses), and then 2 weeks placement, one in ED and one with a GP. A few places in the UK run it, but the best ones are EXMED and Nottingham University Hospital, with Medipro and Capita not too bad either.
Post edited at 01:39
 aln 26 Apr 2015
In reply to Ade in Sheffield:

> A 'coarse' what?

> Much prefer to do a 'course' with them....... sorry, I'll put the little grammar chap back

Dunno, a surgeon who spells a simple word incorrectly three times? Bit of a worry.
 Trangia 26 Apr 2015
In reply to aln:
Maybe he was fishing and hooked you?

On the other hand maybe English is not his first language............
Post edited at 08:09
OP Aigen 26 Apr 2015
In reply to Trangia:

or maybe i was typig on an android tablet on the way home from a 15 hour shift. sorry if it upset you.
 Trangia 26 Apr 2015
In reply to Aigen:

> or maybe i was typig on an android tablet on the way home from a 15 hour shift. sorry if it upset you.

Of course (coarse) it didn't!

JJL 26 Apr 2015
In reply to Aigen:

> or maybe i was typig on an android tablet on the way home from a 15 hour shift. sorry if it upset you.

I'm with you. That's why I don't buy Android devices. I don't like the way they put the "u" next to the "a".
 Ron Walker 26 Apr 2015
In reply to Aigen:

I'd be a wee bit concerned if my doctor couldn't spell course!
 Dauphin 27 Apr 2015
In reply to Ron Walker:

Why? At least you can read it.

D
 JayPee630 27 Apr 2015
In reply to Ron Walker:

Oh FFS, get over yourselves with this spelling thing.
 Trangia 27 Apr 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

> Oh FFS, get over yourselves with this spelling thing.

Lighten up. I don't think folk are getting up tight about it, it's just a bit of leg pulling to rather an amusing mistake. He's given a perfectly reasonable explanation.

Anyway I'm the last person to judge when it comes to spelling mistakes - people in glass houses etc.

Hopefully the OP will find your advice helpful
 The New NickB 27 Apr 2015
In reply to Ron Walker:

> I'd be a wee bit concerned if my doctor couldn't spell course!

I'm not sure it is all that important really, anyway he is only fishing for a bit of information!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...