UKC

Fav gear brands?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greasy Prusiks 25 Apr 2015
Anyone got any favourite brands that just seem to always make good reliable kit, the kind of thing you have for years?

I'll start of with hagloffs, especially their rucksacks I can't fault my roc hard 30l.
 1poundSOCKS 25 Apr 2015
In reply to ACollins:

> I can't fault my roc hard 30l

I've got the same pack, it's served me admirably, and I'd be very happy to buy another Hagloffs sack. All the Berghaus clothing I've bought has been really good, my base layer and fleece have outlived most other stuff I've bought.
 ben b 25 Apr 2015
In reply to ACollins:

Cactus - www.cactusclimbing.co.nz

I have a pair of original winter dreadnoughts from 2002 still going strong, and a couple of packs of the same vintage. Still look much as they did more than a decade ago - they just don't wear out.

b
 Bimble 26 Apr 2015
In reply to ACollins:

Never had a problem with any Rab kit I've had. At the other end of the scale, Alpkit never fails to impress either.
In reply to ACollins:
Arcteryx for pretty well everything, esp harnesses, with the odd Mountain Hardware and Rab thrown in.
For reliable kit my expedition Rab is around 20 years old and still going very strong.
 PPP 26 Apr 2015
In reply to ACollins:

Lowe Alpine rucksacks (they are slightly cheaper and my requirements change every couple years, so it's easier to upgrade), DMM for climbing gear and RAB/Mountain Equipment for clothing. Also, I usually use Devold base layers, but just because I get them cheaper.
 Guy Hurst 27 Apr 2015
In reply to ACollins:

Aldi base and mid layers, occasionally rising to the giddy heights of Regatta or Craghoppers. Whatever is available for under £100 for waterproofs, which is usually pretty good Gore or eVent stuff if you look around.
 galpinos 27 Apr 2015
In reply to ACollins:

Patagonia and Mountain Equipment for clothing, DMM, Black Diamond and Petzl for the rest.
 BFG 27 Apr 2015
In reply to ACollins:

For hardware; DMM and Totem Cams.

For Clothing it's usually about whatever fits - so for me, right now, Mountain Equipment are a firm favourite.
 LastBoyScout 27 Apr 2015
In reply to ACollins:

My Lowe Alpine base layers have lasted for years and years through walking, climbing, skiing, cycling and kayaking - I'd buy them again if they still made the same version. Also good rucksacks - my Pax15 is still going strong.

Berghaus, Mountain Equipment, Black Diamond, Arc'teryx, The North Face (I wish they still made Meridian shorts - see above for (ab)use (not the skiing, though)!) and Mountain Hardwear.

I also have some really good base layer bits from Nike which fit me really well.
In reply to ACollins:

Surprised no mention of Montane or PHD yet!!

Also Icebreaker ...definitely a merino convert now.

Footwear...whatever fits, but Scarpa for 4 season boots and Keen for sandals and approach shoes
 galpinos 27 Apr 2015
In reply to exiled_northerner:
> Surprised no mention of Montane or PHD yet!!

I've not got any Montane but the PHD stuff I have is not worth the premium I paid over highstreet brands imo.

> Also Icebreaker ...definitely a merino convert now.

I fully bought into the merino thing but all the icebreaker stuff I have hhas been very fragile, it's all fallen apart! The patagonia merino stuff is a lot more durable, softer and, imo, better!
In reply to galpinos:
> (In reply to exiled_northerner)
> [...]
>
> is not worth the premium I paid over highstreet brands imo.

LOL...and you buy Patagonia?

> I fully bought into the merino thing but all the icebreaker stuff I have hhas been very fragile, it's all fallen apart! The patagonia merino stuff is a lot more durable, softer and, imo, better!

I could go with you part way on that one. Some of the lighter grade stuff is a little flimsy.

Has anyone had any experience of merino/polyester blends?

galpinos 27 Apr 2015
> LOL...and you buy Patagonia?

Regularly on sale for half price thankfully.

> Has anyone had any experience of merino/polyester blends?

I'm pretty sure the Patagucci merino stuff is a blend of some flavour, maybe why I prefer it (it also holds it's shape better).

GrahamD 27 Apr 2015
In reply to ACollins:

Mountain Equipment Coop from 25 years ago. Baselayers and fleeces still in use !
 StuDoig 27 Apr 2015

I've a set of the HH Ice base layers, which are 2/3 Merino and 1/3 Synthetic. Have been fantastic and lasted years whilst still being like new. Whereas every merino wool base I've owned (winter or summer) have ended up full of holes and fallen to pieces. I don't' rate if for durability and the price for merino stuff is horrendous given lack of durability. The only reason I use my Merino bases layers now is for van trips of a week or more as it doesn't smell after a few days of living in them!

JayPee630 27 Apr 2015
In reply to StuDoig:

For clothes Mountain Equipment and Arcteryx just seem to fit me perfectly and they both produce a load of good quality gear, rather than the odd piece. Rab, Patagonia, and Montane just after them.

For packs Aiguille, POD, Crux, and Black Diamond.

For sleeping bags Western Mountaineering and for sleeping mats Exped.

For climbing hardwear DMM and Wild Country.
 JayPee630 27 Apr 2015
In reply to StuDoig:

Agree with the pure Merino stuff, have given up on it, expensive, heavy and just seems to get full of holes very quickly (probably moths!).
 JayPee630 27 Apr 2015
In reply to ben b:

Oh yes, I've just bought my third pair of their trousers, love them!
 andrewmc 27 Apr 2015
In reply to ACollins:

DMM, Montane, Rab, Petzl (roughly in that order?).
 Pbob 27 Apr 2015
In reply to ACollins:

Wigwam polypropylene socks if I can find them. Comfy, surprisingly odour resistant, quick drying and last f-o-r-e-v-e-r.
Pod for sacks (until recently).
MSR for liquid fuel stoves. Overpriced but reliable and last forever.
Lowe Alpine dryflo wicky-knickers. Comfy and last forever. Ditto tops.
Smelly Hellys for long John (very cheap at Screwfix!!!!)
Marmot down jackets. Solid but lightweight and stand up to treatment.
Montane for pertex and pertex and pile clothing. Slightly better design than the competition.
Any industrial clothing supplier for polypropylene inner gloves (couple of quid per pair).
Local charity shop for thin white cotton shirts for alpine summits.
Lusk 27 Apr 2015
In reply to ACollins:

For footwear, for me, there is only one contender ... SCARPA.
 jaggy bunnet 27 Apr 2015
In reply to ACollins:
Merino sucks..the lightweight stuff gets holed quicker than a finger through damp bogroll..and the heavyweight cooks you like a christmas turkey.
 TobyA 27 Apr 2015

> Has anyone had any experience of merino/polyester blends?

Yep - used some Rab MeCo, pretty impressed: still doesn't smell (pure merino's real strong point) but perhaps tougher and faster drying. I've got loads of odds and sods of merino - all bought in sales so some was really cheap. I've used most of it loads and have got holes in some things - one pair of smartwool long johns that just wore away in the crotch region disappointingly quickly for instance - but other bits have worn really well. I wrote this http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/a-beginner-guide-to-clothin... four or five years ago (originally for UKC but it never got used for some reason, hence me slapping it up on my blog when I found it recently) and in the base layer section I clearly was still in love merino. I have sort of gone through that now and have reached an equilibrium - merino undies for some things (when you are camping and can't change; for cold weather ice climbing) and synthetics for others (ski mountaineering where I seem to sweat loads, fast moving mountain trips, cycling).

Big Steve 27 Apr 2015
In reply to ACollins:

SherpaX socks, I've given them some serious abuse over the last few months, won't be wearing anything else now. Buy them from www.sportssocks.co.uk
 BFG 27 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Yeah I picked up some MeCo on the cheap and so far it's been better than pure merino for anything high output. Not had it long enough to really judge its durability. I doubt I'd buy pure merino again except for travelling t shirts, I sweat too much.

Oddly, the best pure merino layer I own is a Howies one. It's the lightweight one - sheds moisture better than any other I know and its warmth to weight is fantastic. I've used it a hell of a lot and so far looks as new. Don't think it would be warm enough for me in Winter though.
m0unt41n 28 Apr 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

Strange, have only used Icebreaker for last 8 years.
260, 200 Long sleeve and 150 short sleeve Ts
They all get chucked in normal wash 40C with standard Tesco detergent.
Only had holes in one. Generally the black fades to black/brown and wears thinner on shoulders from rucksack.
Get used 2 days a week throughout the year.
Find them comfortable real heat and cold.

Alpenglow 28 Apr 2015
In reply to ACollins:

Mountain Equipment and Haglofs for the clothing fit (ME Hardshells and Haglofs Softshells, fleece and insulation), although some of the new Black Diamond range looks nice.
DMM/Wild Country for hardwear.
Grivel for winter gear (crampons/ice axes).
La Sportiva for boots (due to the fit).
 beardy mike 28 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA: I found the meCo so comfy I started wearing them as every day pants... Unfortunately curry has blown a hole in the gusset.

ben b 28 Apr 2015
In reply to beardy mike:

The Rab MeCo ones are the only pair of technoduds I have ever purchased that had an unerring and insatiable desire (shared by nothing else on the planet, thank god) to get right up my a***crack. I had to stop wearing them as I was always having to hoick them out as I walked. Which was a shame, as they were light, breathable, and otherwise very nice - but unruly, ill-behaved shreddies will not be tolerated!

b
 GarethSL 29 Apr 2015
In reply to ACollins:

Arcteryx for clothing, simply because the fit is so perfect and they have long trouser legs. Plus the builf quality is generally incredible. My best kept secret is vertx trousers for hiking and climbing.

I really like dmm for hardware, but much prefer BD for winter gear.

Zamberlan for boots, find the fit amazing and they make some lush all leather boots if you like a little more traditional gear with outstanding quality.
 winhill 29 Apr 2015
In reply to ACollins:

Victoria Beckham

I find her Ready to Wear range somehow manages to take fairly conventional designs and give them a renewed confidence.

The Victoria Victoria range though adds fabrics to die for combined with sheer craft.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...