UKC

Chamonix half term... your thoughts please.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 27 Apr 2015
Good morning UKCers,

There will be a group of about 16 of us with varying degrees of walking experience, the main objective is to get out walking and I'll be doing some nav instructing with them, I'll start of on the Balcons before progressing to higher and hillier routes - probably Belle Vue/Les Houches areas. I have a few ideas that I'd like your opinion on if you'd be happy to offer top Cham tips.

I've been there 6 times, I've climbed Mont Blanc (been to the Tete Rouse 3 times), Petite Aig Verte and others, I've walked with novices, I've climbed at Gaillands, I've walked on the MdG & Argentierre glacier many times, and the Balcons of course.... however this has always been in the summer months, and this trip is the mid way point between skiing and walking season.

So I have a few questions if you could take a minute or two to answer then I'd really appreciate it.
1) Is there likely to be any snow for the skiiers/boarders in our group? If so, where?
2) The websites suggest that AdM telephrique is usually open at this time, is this the case?
3) What is the weather likely to be like? I would imagine rain, but I'm not sure (Obviously this is a general idea, I don't expect a daily weather plan so far in advance).
4) Is the tunnel at Nid D'Aigle usually free of snow, or are we too early? (I guess we'd have to take the side path if not... assuming we want to get to Tete Rousse).
5) Other than the ladders onto MdG, are there any nearby VFs (a couple of the group fancy this, I won't be going with them)?
6) Weather wise, what is the likelihood of me getting onto Cosmiques Arete - assuming I can find someone to go with me?
7) Is the raclette still as fattening as it ever was?

If there is anything else you would recommend or suggest, that would be most welcome.

With kind regards, and thanks... Tony
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Hi guys (non gender specific, obviously haha)

I don't need an essay so please don't feel you have to answer all the questions in one go, if you could help with just a couple that would be great... especially the last one

Cheers, T
lostcat 27 Apr 2015

When is half term? Not being a teacher or having kids I have absolutely no idea!
 jezzah 27 Apr 2015
In reply to lostcat:

I think half term is the last week in May. There will still be a lot of snow- not sure about snowboarding tho, but I guess you can snowboard most things these days.
 paulmck 27 Apr 2015

Was there May 24th-27th last year. Did the Cosmiques Arête which was in great condition but it all got a bit "Scottish" after a blue sky start - as in wind and snow in your face type of climbing. There were a few other teams on it as well (including guides) and the Chere Couloir had a few people on it. Had 1 good day out of 3 weather-wise i.e. windy, snow up high and drizzle in the valley.

Plenty of snow on the Col du Midi (camped there for one night) and the north face of the Tacul was plastered (Grisolle and Mazeaud routes unclimbable with soft unconsolidated snow). I've never skied or boarded in Chamonix but there didn't look to be any snow on the normal pistes and I think most of those lifts were shut, so I think that skiing will be limited to the vallee blanche. Be warned though, the skiers path down the arête from the midi had been removed when we were there in May. Lots of people (idiots?) skiing the north face of the midi at the time if that's what excites you!

I have also been there in the very 1st week of June 2013 and had 7 solid days of blue sky. Was also there 9th - 15th June last year and had another 7 days of blue skies and sweltering heat !! Had the Dent du Geant and Rochefort arête to ourselves on that occasion. I know it's a week or two later than you are going but the weather isn't necessarily that bad before the honeypot times of July and August.

One other issue is that Chamonix seems to be mostly shut around that time because as you say, skiing has finished and climbing hasn't really got going yet so everyone in the town seems to go on holiday. Could be a good thing unless you are going for the night life.
In reply to lostcat:

Oops, 23rd to 30th May
In reply to jezzah:

Are the 'phriques and gondolas operational at that time? Actually I guess I could just google it haha
In reply to paulmck:

Thanks for that Paul,
I guess I need to wait until nearer the time to gauge snow levels etc.

So, how would one get from the station to the col? I've only ever been down the track (with and without rope handrail).

I guess there could be some snow higher up on the Brevant side of the valley - we shall see.

Thanks
lostcat 27 Apr 2015
In reply to Tony the B

> So, how would one get from the station to the col? I've only ever been down the track (with and without rope handrai

The arete wont be closed, it just wont be equiped with a handrail, cut steps etc. So it will be as you would find it in summer.
 paulmck 27 Apr 2015
In reply to lostcat:

Sorry, didn't make it clear. Yep the arete was open but no handrail/steps. Cosmiques hut was open also.
 Pete Houghton 28 Apr 2015

> So, how would one get from the station to the col? I've only ever been down the track (with and without rope handrail).

Hello,

For those so inclined, instead of walking down the arete you can ski the south couloir (40 to 45 degrees for 150m) of the Cosmiques Arete after a quick 60m rappel down the final gendarmes leading up to the viewing platform. At this time of year, this is only to be attempted quite early in the day, before the south-facing snow has soaked up all the sun and turned to potentially-sliding porridge. All-in-all, I cannot recommend this approach unless you enjoy skiing steep slopes with 60m ropes on your back, and have quite a strange sense of humour in general.

With regards to the rest of the skiing/snowboarding at that time of year, it is pretty much peak season for all of the steep couloirs up high, but with the Grand Montets lift closed and the Mer de Glace turning into a rock garden, you have to be pretty fit and enthusiastic to make them happen (that is, a walk up from Argentiere, or skinning back to the Aiguille du Midi, depending on which spot you are in). There is absolutely nothing in the way of pistes or lift-served skiing available.

Oh, and there are two nearby Via Ferrata, one down valley above Passy, and one through the tunnel above Courmayeur. I've done neither of them so I can't comment, I'm afraid!
In reply to Pete Houghton:

Thanks Pete... I don't ski, no way jose haha

However I will pass your detailed report on to the rest of the gang... many thanks indeed.

I'll check out the VF and see if they're open.

Thanks to others for comments ref AdM and the ramp out... anyone around that week fancy the CA?

Cheers, T

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...