UKC

Cuillin Ridge conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fullastern 27 Apr 2015
Can anyone give us an update on the condition of the Cuillin Ridge, i.e. how much snow is left up there? Thanks
 Mike Lates 27 Apr 2015
In reply to Jonathan:
Very little old snow but thick blanket of fresh. Time to get the tools out again & head for Thearlaich........
Forecast looks likely to see more build up & staying into next week. Hopefully wrong but not gonna be much hot dry rock for a while.
Mainly N & E winds which are usually dry for Skye. Mountaineers will revel in different peaks & ridges under snow and views should be astounding; just moderate ambitions. Climbers should find Neist & Elgol v good, sheltered & sunny.
 studgek 27 Apr 2015
In reply to Jonathan:

Blizzard in Fort William this afternoon. Snow settling at about 300m so full winter nick in the West Highlands at the moment.
OP fullastern 27 Apr 2015
In reply to Jonathan:

Thanks very much both
 Tenko 28 Apr 2015
In reply to Jonathan:

Thanks Mike, I hope this doesn't affect your clients too much over the bank holiday.
Rich
Swampi 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Mike Lates:

Hi Mike,

Is it still looking like a write off for a Summer hit and run on the Cullin Ridge this Saturday? The forecast says South-Easterly winds on the edge of a high pressure, which seems to bode well, but is it still too cold? How much of this snow do you think will thaw by then?

Thanks.

Adam
 Jamie B 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Swampi:

I don't think enough will thaw. Mike may however have his own take...
 Mike Lates 29 Apr 2015
Swampi 30 Apr 2015
In reply to Mike Lates:

Thanks Jamie and Mike! Oh don't tempt me, the ridge in Winter is my UK dream route! If only the weather wasn't closing in on Sunday...
 Mike Lates 30 Apr 2015
In reply to Swampi:

Thick snow cover right along the crest not likely to disappear until some heavy rain comes along. More snow forecast Saturday. Heavy going but Pinn was dry with only v small snow patches. Pic on gallery once Mods have passed it.
 Mike Lates 30 Apr 2015
 Mike Lates 02 May 2015
In reply to Jonathan:
Blog with pcs from Thursday 30th- http://skyeguides.co.uk/snowy-crest-for-bank-holiday-weekend/
Check out Cioch pic for why not many folk will be up there this w/e!
Post edited at 00:21
 Mike Lates 03 May 2015
In reply to Mike Lates:

North end was holding considerably less snow on crest than south end when I was out Saturday. Looked like snow got stripped back a fair bit today. Anybody up there to confirm? Forecast good for M,T & Wed now so Traverse may be on all of a sudden.
 Mike Lates 03 May 2015
In reply to Mike Lates:

> North end was holding considerably less snow on crest than south end when I was out Saturday. Looked like snow got stripped back a fair bit today. Anybody up there to confirm? Forecast good for M,T & Wed now so Traverse may be on all of a sudden.

Thanks for rapid response team- Wrong Wrong Wrong; must try harder, go back to the drawing board. Thin coat of extra fresh in top 100m or so. Not so wrong on my observation but does mean crest of key sections like Thearlaich & Mhiccoinnich unlikely to have lost their mantle. Carry crampons, go N-S & do 1st Winter Trav of the season/year???
 aldo56 06 May 2015
In reply to Mike Lates:

How are things shaping up now Mike? We're heading up this weekend (not particuarly for a ridge attempt) but it would be useful to hear how things look.

Forecast seems to be for more snow on the tops and rain at lower levels.
 solomonkey 06 May 2015
In reply to aldo56:

Work mate just got back , lots of snow on the tops from the look of his photos , he said defo need crampons e,c,t but can't comment on the snow condition as he never made it up due to being with his misis and no crampons e,c,t he did say he met two climbers who told then to turn back , they seemed to think it was on if that helps p,s looks like he got clear blue skys , lucky git
 Mike Lates 06 May 2015
 aldo56 06 May 2015
Many thanks; that's ideal.

Mike Lates 06 May 2015
In reply to aldo56:

After a flurry of e-mails asking for ideas of what to do here-s just a few but think out of the box!

Just go for individual peaks, broad if you want to avoid pitching. Alasdair from Ghrunnda will be sheltered & comparative short technically. Ghrunnda to Gars-bheinn & down, Sgurr a bhasteir to BnF, Traverse of Gillean from E-W very entertaining!
Pinn likely to be slow & Q's ata guess.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...