UKC

How popular is the Watkin Path up Snowdon?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Catriona 03 May 2015
I quite fancy a wander up Snowdon tomorrow (i.e. Bank Holiday Monday) via the Watkin Path. It's years since I've been up Snowdon. Is it likely to be swarming with other people or still relatively quiet?
llechwedd 03 May 2015
In reply to Catriona:

Depends on your definition of quiet........Snowdon, on a Bank Holiday........hmmmmm?
 ben b 03 May 2015
In reply to Catriona:

It will be Bank Holiday busy on top, for sure...

However, try from the south via Craig Wen and Yr Aran, across the Bwlch and past Allt Maenderlyn up to the summit along the quiet S ridge. Then head east over Lliwedd andout to the "Last Nail in the Horseshoe", Gallt y Wenallt, before heading back west across rough ground into Afon Merch and back to the car via the path no-one ever uses that joins up with the Watkin. I reckon you'll see no-one until you join the Rhydd Du path, the summit will be packed, and you'll be by yourself after Y Lliwedd. Mind out for the big holes though.

b
 Roadrunner5 03 May 2015
In reply to Catriona:

One of the quietest routes but still fairly busy especially at the top after the finger post.
 Roadrunner5 03 May 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

I meant quieter..

But using bwlch cwm llan and the south ridge or Lliwedd extensions to make a natural horseshoe are about as quiet as you'll get on the main snowdon massive without going totally off trail.

The boundary ridge area between siabod and the moelwyns is always very quiet..
 ben b 03 May 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

There's also that very pointy and incongruous summit that looks like it should be atop the Matterhorn or somewhere, despite only being about 5m high. Moel Meirch? Can't remember. But a place only visited by people on the Paddy Buckley, anyway....

b
 Roadrunner5 04 May 2015
In reply to ben b:

Yeah there's some nice summits out that way.. and some bottomless bogs.

I used th love the extended horseshoe out over Gallt y Wenallt at dusk, down a steep grassy ridge. Noone went there yet you were 2-3 miles from Pen Y Pass.
OP Catriona 04 May 2015
In reply to everyone:

Thanks for your help. I opted to stay away from the crowds and had the world to myself elsewhere.
 Jim Walton 06 May 2015
In reply to Catriona:

Well depends if the Devils in Skirts from the 3rd Foot & Mouth Regiment are on Guard. If not then there could be hoards of Burpa's charging down the Pass.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...