UKC

June holiday - where to go? Picos/Dolomites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 katiep 07 May 2015
Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice about where to go for a short walking/climbing/via ferrata holiday with my partner at the start of June.

Was currently thinking of either the Southern Dolomites around Arco and Lake Garda or Picos de Europe.

We're looking for somewhere that won't require crampons when walking and that has either some via ferrata or easy long climbing routes. I went to the main dolomites last year and there was still a lot of snow cover in mid-July!

If anyone has been to either of these areas or can suggest some other areas I'd be grateful.

Katie
 nutme 07 May 2015
Picos de Europa will be clear of snow. But where's not that many via ferrata routes, at least in 2013 when I was where they had 5 or 6. Difficultly is from easy to easy-moderate. No hard routes. Routes take 2 - 4 hours.
Picos have a lot of good sport multi-pitch climbs. Some are doable in one day from valley. Abseil and belay spots are well bolted and have chains.
I have no idea about trad.

In Dolomites where will be snow. Question is just how much of snow. But generally Dolomites is better destination for via ferrata. But personally I would stay away from Dolomites in early June.

uphillnow 07 May 2015
In reply to katiep:

Been to the Picos in early/mid June and it was fine in the sense that snow was not a problem on that trip. As I recall the weather was "atlantic" , quite changeable and sometimes difficult to read.Morning light rain in the valley sometime disguised clear hot conditions higher up, and on other days proved to be the start of heavier rain. Generally it was nice and warm with plenty of dry days. A lot on offer here.
 GaryK 07 May 2015
In reply to katiep:

I have been to Arco in June twice . One year it was way too hot and the other year it was where we went to warm up as the dollies around sella and cortina were too cold and snowy for the big routes/VF's .
I'd start at Arco and move up to higher altitude for routes/VF as weather allows . there is arock fax guide for the sport climbing and cicerone to a 2 volume VF guide.Vol 2 covers arco . Thereis also a newer ( Last Year ) rockfax guide to the dollies with trad sport and VF but it doesn't cover arco. Have a great time
OP katiep 10 May 2015
In reply to katiep:

Thanks for the responses - we're thinking more of the picos now.

Can I ask, where did you guys stay to have a good base for things?

Also what guidebooks are good, is the cicerone guide useful?

Thanks,
Katie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...