UKC

Cheap warm backpacking destination with teenager?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 iksander 10 May 2015
My 14 year old daughter wants to go backpacking (or hut to hut) somewhere warm - any cheap ideas? Mountains or coast. Thanks
 chris fox 10 May 2015
In reply to iksander:

you could go to Greece, into Athens then island hop around.

I spent most of the 90's backpacking around India,Nepal, Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia and Indonesia.

Malaysia is superb, cost you a bit to get there but really cheap once you are in the country. Really friendly people and fantastic sights. Hiking around The Cameron Highlands, beaches of Langkawi, Penang, Tioman and the Malaysian locals retreat of Pulau Pangkor.
In reply to iksander:

Sri Lanka? Not a huge amount of mountain activity, apart from Adam's Peak, but an easy intro to backpacking in a warm place with reasonable infrastructure. Plenty of culture, warm sea and beautiful countryside. Lots of recent history, too.

Greece is ok - took the kids for a month last year - but public transport is woeful (and that's when it's actually working).
 nightclimber 11 May 2015
In reply to iksander:

Took 2 of my daughters - both teenagers - to Morocco last year to give them a taste of trekking from hut to hut, and they wanted somewhere hot. Really worthwhile

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...