UKC

Yosemite September-October...what to take?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 11 May 2015
Looks like I'm off to Yosemite valley for three weeks this autumn. Given that I will be flying to LAX then getting public transport to the valley what would people advise me to bring in terms of kit. I thought...

tent
rollmat
sleeping bag
stove, cooking gear
all personal climbing kit (harness, helmet, shoes, chalk bag etc.)

As I will be looking for someone to climb with while out there (ideally a local in possession of a rack), what items of additional 'shared' climbing gear would people advise me to take, to be a more attractive proposition as a climbing partner? I thought a full set of cams and a few offset nuts might do the job.

Anyway, any advice appreciated.

R
 1poundSOCKS 11 May 2015
In reply to Roberttaylor:
> sleeping bag

It can get cold at night (in October anyway), make it a warm one.

> I thought a full set of cams and a few offset nuts might do the job.

A second set of cams will help, doubles are recommended on lots of routes. I wouldn't bother about nuts, you don't tend to place that many. Unless you plan to aid climb, which I presume you aren't.

And if you're staying on Camp 4, earplugs might be worthwhile. Not so much the late night parties, but the early morning starts of the bigwallers, when they're opening and shutting their bear-box, and sorting out their gear.
Post edited at 12:33
 GridNorth 11 May 2015
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

I used nuts and plenty of them when I've been there! But then I would always favour nuts over cams.
 1poundSOCKS 11 May 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

> I used nuts and plenty of them when I've been there! But then I would always favour nuts over cams.

But enough to carry 2 sets? Without looking at the guidebook, I'd guess a double set of cams (or at least some sizes) and a single set of nuts is recommended more than the reverse.
 ashtond6 11 May 2015

maybe there in sept and looking for partners
 GridNorth 11 May 2015
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

A lot depends on what you want to climb. If you go for the bigger crack climbs then I agree about perhaps doubling up on cams but that's not what you suggested. I thought you said " I wouldn't bother about nuts." I just took my standard UK rack and managed fine.
 1poundSOCKS 11 May 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

> I just took my standard UK rack and managed fine.

So did I, and a rope. But the OP seems to be trying to take a minimum of kit, and if I was doing the same, I'd ditch the nuts. Anybody you meet with a rope and rack will have a set of nuts.
OP Roberttaylor 11 May 2015

Thanks all. From advice here and elsewhere I will take a rope, my usual trad rack and buy some more cams there.
 mr mills 11 May 2015

Dont forget your camera
 mark catcher 12 May 2015
In reply to Roberttaylor: If you're looking for someone to climb with when you get there, do some research and have a list of what you want to do. Posting in camp 4 that you're looking for a partner to climb with is a bit vague, but if you put a message up saying you'd like to do say, After Six, Nutcracker, Royal Arches and Snake Dyke, you may have more joy.

frank hill 12 May 2015
In reply to mark catcher:
Book the camping otherwise you might not get in
 1poundSOCKS 12 May 2015
In reply to frank hill:

> Book the camping otherwise you might not get in

You can't book Camp 4, and it is the best place to be if you need to hook up with someone.
 Babika 12 May 2015

As a matter of interest, why are you flying to LAX and getting public transport and not SF?
 timjones 12 May 2015
In reply to Babika:

> As a matter of interest, why are you flying to LAX and getting public transport and not SF?

There have been some great fares available to LAX since Norwegian started flying there. The savings more than offset the cost of the extra travel at the other end.
 Co1in H 12 May 2015
In reply to 1poundSOCKS: Dead right, but you can post a note.
Try booking The Pines just over the road, but don't expect showers there.
You queue for Camp 4 and you could wait forever to get in.

1poundSOCKS 12 May 2015
In reply to Co1in H:
> You queue for Camp 4 and you could wait forever to get in.

Each evening they post the number of free spots available the next day. You have to queue from very early morning, but you'll know immediately if you'll get a pitch or not, just count how many people are in the queue.

I've been twice and never had to queue. I've shown up late morning, about 11:00, and got a spot because somebody left unexpectedly.
Post edited at 09:36
 natetan 12 May 2015

Don't forget some bear repellant.
 Offwidth 12 May 2015
In reply to frank hill:

The booking for the reserved sites opens on May 15th and will likely go in minutes. They have cut the spaces available for those who can't book. Only Camp 4 now in or very close to The Valley.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/nrcamping.htm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...