UKC

Southern sandstone bivvy spots.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 18 May 2015
Does anyone know of any southern sandstone bivvy spots where I could stay on a Friday evening?
 Oceanrower 18 May 2015
In reply to James Malloch:

Well, there's always the campsite at Harrisons.
 Climber_Bill 18 May 2015

The best place would be at Bowles below Fandango Wall. It's nice and steep and stays dry in the rain. There is also lots of wood to build a nice fire. it's quite secluded so no one will notice.
 GrahamD 18 May 2015
In reply to Richard White:

hmmm. The OP might have been asking a serious question....
 Dell 18 May 2015

There is a lot of woodland around most of the sandstone spots, if you are a discreet, good little camper, then you will be fine.
The camping at Harrison's is still free AFAIK and it's a lovely bit of woodland with bogs and hot water.
 Tom Last 18 May 2015

There's the old bivi spot at the far end of Harrison's in a low cave, but as pointed out there's a campsite there, so a bit pointless.
 Climber_Bill 18 May 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

Yes, being a bit flippant there.

Most of what is have said is true - apart from the secluded bit. You might get away with bivvying below Fandango Wall if you rocked up in the dark and were very very quiet, but not with a fire!

But then you might actually be woken up by groups in the night doing various team building type activities.

To be fair, we dossed at Bowles many years ago on the way to the continent and did get away with it.

OP James Malloch 18 May 2015

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't realise there was a campsite there. I have a work trip to Brighton next week so thought I'd stop off on the way home and climb for a bit on Saturday.

Very helpful!

Any of the crags best in the 6c/7a range?
 Climber_Bill 18 May 2015

Proper reply this time....

Bowles has some very good bouldering and is quick drying after rain showers. High Rocks is awesome, but takes longer to dry and costs quite a bit to climb there.

If you are stopping off on the way home, then I would suggest Bowles is probably your best bet.

Rich.
 Oceanrower 18 May 2015

> Thanks for the replies.

> Any of the crags best in the 6c/7a range?

Just a FYI. The grading system used is English Technical. If you can get up a 7a you are a way, way better climber than me
 Krustythebrown 18 May 2015

If you're feeling strong, High Rocks will sap it out of you fairly quickly, but its expensive and on private land, Bowles is also private but much cheaper, Camping at Harrisons is by donation, there is no hot water, but the Loos have recently re-opened after renovation, and theres a parking fee (although not sure if its implemented as yet) You'll be lucky to tick anything above 6a at any of those crags and 5c at high rocks and make sure you have the right gear, static rope and slings. Its well documented as to what you'll need to take.
Removed User 18 May 2015
In reply to Krustythebrown:

Last I heard you also had to phone in advance at High Rocks to book.
( Anyone know if that still applies?)

Dell 18 May 2015

Was at Harrison's a couple of weeks ago, the sinks and the outside washing up sink both had hot water. Although I think one of the basin sinks had the taps the wrong way round! H/C swapped over.
 Daimon - Rockfax Global Crag Moderator 19 May 2015
In reply to Removed UserArdverikie2:

Yes, this is the case, more so now than before. The access agreement is still in the final stages of being approved by the owner of High Rocks.
Removed User 19 May 2015
In reply to Daimon - Rockfax:

Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...