UKC

Outdoor knives

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Broony 18 May 2015
Purchasing a new outdoor knife. mostly going to be used for cutting rope but would be a bonus if it could also double up as a basic all round outdoor knife (eg cutting small branches, material and peices of meat). Any advice on a particular knife or even a shop where i can have a look at several good quality knives...? Any advice would be great!
 Greasy Prusiks 18 May 2015
In reply to Broony:

I guess you're thinking folding?
OP Broony 18 May 2015
In reply to ACollins:

preferably yeah, would definitely be more practical.
 PPP 18 May 2015
In reply to Broony:

What about a Victorinox with a gimmicky wood saw (like this one: http://www.victorinox.com/global/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Medium-Pocke... ) or a Petzl Spatha (the newer model with a locking blade)?

I have both of them and Victorinox served well for over 5 years now and it definitely was useful in many situations! Spatha is more climbing oriented knife which cuts the rope decently and it is easier to handle than Victorinox as it's slightly bigger and easier to grip with gloves on.

Both are cheap(ish) options with a good build quality. After I used Victorinox to hammer in some nails (I told you I used it in many situations!), I damaged the red side plates of the Victorinox and I got replacements for free without any questions (I could have bought ones, but Victorinox just sent them for free without any questions).
 Greasy Prusiks 18 May 2015
In reply to Broony:

I like Buck knives personally they're built to last and keep a good edge. Some of them are vicious though so look at the size of them if you're buying on line.
OP Broony 18 May 2015
In reply to PPP:

Thanks, looking at both options as we speak. Like the look of the victorinox.
 SteveD 18 May 2015
In reply to Broony:

Fixed blade is the safest and most practical, be aware of the law, you can't carry it around "just in case" you might want to use it. But it is not going to close on you, a full tang handle is as strong as it can be and it is easier to keep clean if you are going to use it for food.

Go for a simple blade shape, 3mm or 4mm thick, drop point or spear, full flat grind, full thickness at the spine. Mikarta handle scales are the most practical, O1 steel holds a good edge but difficult to maintain stain resist steels such as RWL34 and D2 or 410 are all good (RWL34 is my favourite)

That will give you a knife that is slicey(tm) and strong enough to baton firewood.

I can make one for you if you like!
 GarethSL 18 May 2015
In reply to Broony:

For climbing only, I carry a Petzl Spatha. In my bag I have a Leatherman MUT which goes pretty much everywhere with me. For trekking camping trips I use an Eickhorn Pohl One and for serious out-in-the-sticks stuff I use its bigger non-folding brother the Pohl Two. All excellent knives in their own way. The latter three are all big bladed so be wary of the law, but also consider that you need a blade large enough to do the job you want.

As others have said a fixed knife is better and safer all round. I love my folding knife but it sees very little use compared to my leatherman or my fixed blade, but it is however a lot more practical to carry.

For the best overview of knives, great customer service (call and ask your question) check out http://www.heinnie.com

Have used them many times for all sorts of 'outside of the norm' gear. They have thousands of knives so it is pretty useful the filters on the side to limit what you see!
 LucaC 18 May 2015
In reply to SteveD:
For rope, something small, folding and serrated, you can carry on your harness. You'll appreciate the teeth for sawing through old 10mm tat etc. I've been using a small folding Opinel knife for everything else. Probably too thin in the blade for serious wood chopping, but sharp enough to cut small slivers for fire lighting.
 Dell 19 May 2015
In reply to Broony:

The Victorinox wood saw is definitely not 'gimmicky' It's about the best designed wood blade of any multi-tool, it will cut through saplings up to about 2", and is useful for notching wood for making tent pegs, spoon carving or what have you.

If you just want a single blade though, try the new(-ish) Opinel no.8 outdoor knife. The blade is half serrated for rope cutting, and it even has a whistle built into the handle. It's a locker though so only carry if you are partaking in a proper outdoor 'activity'

Dell 19 May 2015
In reply to Broony:

Just remembered, I have a good as new Gerber Tread, still in it's packaging, languishing in a drawer. Not sure if it suits your needs, but it has spring loaded pliers and a built in LED light and a carry pouch.

http://www.multitool-shop.com/gerber/multitools-large/gerber-tread.php

£20 posted.
 John Ww 19 May 2015
In reply to Dell:
If the OP doesn't want it, I'll take it

JW
Post edited at 08:57
 nutme 19 May 2015
I have "Edelrid Rope Tooth" on my harness at all times. I put it off only if I am taking my harness to airplane cabin.
Pegs are my second favorite!

I think that most important is that knife must be easy accessible and it can be opened with one hand. Locking is a must. As for police, they see having one to be reasonable for rock climber. I actually spoke to officer about it. I was freaking out when discovered about UK laws several years ago.
 SteveD 19 May 2015
In reply to LJC:

Agreed, I have a petzl on my harness and a variety of test blades I have made for camping and bushcraft, to show people what I can make for them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...