UKC

Trangia multifuel burner.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d_b 21 May 2015

I'm thinking of getting a new multifuel stove. I'm a big fan of the trangia windshields, so their multifuel burner is on my radar as a possibility.

I appreciate that it will be a bit heavier than a free standing stove and foil windshield, but are there any other pros and cons I should think about?

Also, are they still using the optimus nova design?
Post edited at 11:53
 tjin 21 May 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

Or get a multifuel stove with trangia adapter. They are made for the Optimus nova, Primus Omnifuel (atleast they had them for the old version) or the Edelrid Hexon.

Use it in trangia mode or with there regular feets, a more flexible solution
OP d_b 21 May 2015
In reply to tjin:

I hadn't seen the edelred hexon before. Looks like a promising option.
In reply to davidbeynon:

Trangia is using a Primus burner these days which is good. The old snap-on hose leaked at the pump. Another bonus is that the Primus ErgoPump has the same thread as the standard gas canisters.
 AGilmour 21 May 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

I've used the trangia multifuel burner a number of times, and although it is a fantastic stove combination there are a few issues we found. Aside from being rather heavy, it was also quite prone to getting clogged up, and cleaning it wasn't as straightforward/simple as other stoves I've seen. Also the dimensions weren't quite right, and to get it to fit snugly in the lower windshield required it to be bent to accept it. I'd imagine this may have been fixed in a new design, if there is one?

Having said that, it is a pretty damn powerful stove that when set up in the doorway of the tent on a rainy evening managed to give us both sore heads by using up all the oxygen, something I've been quite wary of since! It can also starve itself of sufficient oxygen as the windshields don't allow enough ventilation to the burner when it's turned up high and a pot is on the stove.
cb294 21 May 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

The Hexon is cheap and robust, but can be adjusted only at the pump / gas bottle adapter. Thus, especially when turning it down, there is a noticeable delay due to the gas / fuel in the pipe. I also have the trangia adapter, but on our last trip we used the hexon with the aluminium shield as well as a trangia with a separate gas burner, so I don´t have much experience with how well it works in the field.

CB
cb294 21 May 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

And another thing: My old series primus pot with the heat exchanger baffles at the bottom (which I bought for use with the hexon) also fits nicely into the trangia windshield. Most efficient combination ever!

CB
OP d_b 22 May 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

Thanks all. Having done a bit of reading up I think I will see if I can get a close look at one of those edelrid stoves. It looks like a very good compromise.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...