UKC

Conditions in Chamonix? Is Balcons de la Mer de Glace snowfree?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nutme 21 May 2015

All the sudden it happened that I will spend bank holiday in Chamonix with a friend of a friend. Took a place from sick mate who can't go and apparently I am now a bloody 'leader'.

Did anyone recently been on Balcons de la Mer de Glace? From forecast it looks like it snowed last weekend. How does it looks like now?

P.S.: My partner for this trip is not an alpinist or a skier, but has crampons and axe experience with simple ropework. So I am thinking about Balcons walks where no technical skills would be needed. Any other suggestions for a great day out? It's first time ever I will be in Alps in May, a bit lost tbh.
Post edited at 11:41
 rocksol 21 May 2015
In reply to nutme:

Check the Chamonix Mont Blanc webcams. I just looked at Montenvers/Mer de Glace and I would say that the Balcons are snow covered. They would be potentially difficult on some of the ladders, narrow ledges and the gulleys up to the Couvercle, as there will be old snow/neve. You may need to use ropes & crampons dependant upon the experience of the party.
They are a fantastic trip and I have taken my kids up there a couple of times, but even in summer I roped a couple of sections
OP nutme 21 May 2015
In reply to rocksol:

Thank you for webcam suggestion. It really looks covered. I will have to think of something else!

I have been on that route with my brother in late summer few years ago and it was amazing experience. But I doubt it would be pleasant with snow and new partner. Was hoping snow would be gone by now as it's very steep slope on low altitude.
OP nutme 23 May 2015
In reply to nutme:

In case someone else thinking of going on that route now, balcons were damaged by avalanche and locals alpinism office don't know when they will reopen it. They suggest to avoid it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...