UKC

wet feet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 allanscott 22 May 2015
My Scarpa Charmoz boots seem to be leaking especially the right boot just at the base of the tongue on the outside edge. Bought January 2013 and used only when there is snow on the hills. Took them back to the shop yesterday and they have promised to check them out. How they do that I have no idea. Maybe stand them in a bucket of water for a while? Shop assistant asked if I had used anything to keep them waterproof. Aftercare was never mentioned at time of purchase. Thoughts anyone?
m0unt41n 22 May 2015
In reply to allanscott:

From the Scarpa web site:

K-TECH/L-TECH/S-TECH-example-Phantom Series/Charmoz Pro/Rebel Lite

A Kevlar based synthetic material which ensures maximum durability with minimum weight. Combined with S-Tech this allows us to achieve a lightweight boot which is strong enough for summer and winter mountaineering, scrambling and Via Ferrata. We recommend using Nikwax Fabric and Leather or Grangers G-Max periodically to ensure that the highest level of water resistance is maintained

Don't see how you can be expected to check the web site BUT did they have any care notes in the box since Scarpa generally do.

However their web site merely recommends and also merely says highest level of water resistance. It doesn't say you have to do it in order to keep them water proof.

Mountain Llama 22 May 2015
In reply to allanscott:
Hi Allan

I have had several pairs of boots over the years of a similar construction to your charmoz, which I use for winter climbing. I used nikiwax on them before I used them and then at least twice a year or before a big trip to ensure my feet stayed dry. This approach has worked for me.

I recently completed the west highland way and I nikiwaxed the other halfs solomen boots before we set off, they were a leather material composite with gortex liner. Our friend on the walk had the same boots but not proofed and they got absolutely soaked one day in the snow while Mags boots were fairly dry. So I have found treating your boots can make a massive difference.

Hope you find a solution.

Chears Davey
Post edited at 16:37
OP allanscott 22 May 2015
In reply to Mountain Llama:

Thanks guys. Invested in some Nikwax stuff this afternoon. Will try it on my other boots first and then we'll see what shop says re the Charmoz. I'd assumed the goretex liner would be enough to keep my feet dry without any additional care.
 cezza 22 May 2015
In reply to allanscott:

Most boots with a goretex liner will only be waterproof when they leave the shop. Grit gets sandwiched between the goretex layer and the outer. The layers and grit rub together and holes appear in the goretex liner.

Nikwax probably won't help this.

Cezza
August West 23 May 2015
In reply to allanscott:

> ... they have promised to check them out. How they do that I have no idea. Maybe stand them in a bucket of water for a while?

It's much easier to fill the boot with water and see whether/where the water leaks out!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...