UKC

Best hill for 6y old in Lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Owen W-G 22 May 2015
Hi,
I've asked this before but...

Can you recommend a mini-mountain/hill in Lakes suitable for a 6y old to have a 'my first mountain' achievement?

Thanks
 Mal Grey 22 May 2015
In reply to Owen W-G:

Loughrigg is rather nice. Whether the actual summit, or just the bump above Clappersgate. Lovely views.

Many 6 years old might be capable of a bit more than that though.

Helm Crag would offer a bit of excitement, but maybe leave off the actual rock on top.
 Denni 22 May 2015
In reply to Owen W-G:

Cats Bells? Small I know but that was our 5 year olds first "mountain" (she was 3.5) and I thought a good choice as short distance and if she got threaders with walking or the weather came in then only a short distance down and then another exciting boat trip back to Keswick
 mattrm 22 May 2015
In reply to Owen W-G:

Loughrigg or Catbells are both good suggestions.

Also look at Hallin Fell, Castle Crag, Wansfell and Raven Crag. If they get on fine with them, then walking up to Stickle Tarn is a nice walk, not really a fell, but it's a decent short walk with lovely views.
 steveriley 22 May 2015
In reply to Owen W-G:

If they're up for it Catbells is a nice little adventure from the Derwent launch - trip round the lake, up the hill, down same or different way, boat back to Keswick. Castle Crag from Grange is good and paddling options to stop off at. Slate piles in the little quarry under the top is good fun.
 John Kelly 22 May 2015
In reply to Owen W-G:

Side pike - walking per se can be a bit of a bore for small kids but all mine have loved scrambling up the series of short of rocky steps on the way up ridge to summit - spotting is a must - blea tarn for paddle after (i would say swim but it was baltic last week)
In reply to Owen W-G:

Our boy did Striding edge when he was 6, we are hoping he will be the next Ueli Steck.
 Bob 22 May 2015
In reply to Owen W-G:

In addition to the ones mentioned add in King's How and Brund Fell near Grange in Borrowdale. Hard Knott from the summit of Hardknott pass (which is where everyone does it from anyway) - Harter fell to the south is very boggy ground BTW. Possibly Caw from Seathwaite. As a real outside suggestion: Pike o' Blisco from the top of Wrynose pass - only 300 metres of ascent which is less than Cat Bells from Derwentwater - worth considering if it's a really nice day.

All the above depend on your kid though and only you know how she/he will cope.
 John Kelly 22 May 2015
In reply to Bob:

blisco from wrynose -good call- weather permitting
 alan moore 24 May 2015
In reply to Owen W-G:

Castle rock, Borrowdale from Rosthwaite. So much to see along the way and an amazing summit.
 london_huddy 24 May 2015
In reply to Owen W-G:

Place Fell is pretty good - nice and rocky on top for the 'real mountain' feeling!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...