UKC

land around stanage closed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andypeak 23 May 2015
Anyone know why most of the access land to the left of plantation at Stanage is closed this weekend and some other dates in june?
 deepsoup 23 May 2015
In reply to andy.smythe:
The Moscar estate? That time again I suppose - they do it every year. Because they can.

Doesn't affect public rights of way and doesn't usually apply on weekends though I see this year it does apply tomorrow (but not Monday).

There are public rights of way to the bits of Stanage and Derwent edges that are part of the estate, so climbing there is not affected. (Unlike Bamford, which is effectively closed along with the rest of the estate.)

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/ViewCrag.aspx?id=344
http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/516693/moscar-es...
Post edited at 20:40
OP Andypeak 23 May 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

Cheers. The sign made it look like climbing was affected. We ended up at the popular end instead.
 JDal 24 May 2015
In reply to andy.smythe:

http://tinyurl.com/oqfd9l2

The pdf links give the gory details.

The Right of Way doesn't give you a right to climb there, just a right to walk past it, or stand there and paint it and suchlike. Looks like the Estate is being practical here.
 deepsoup 24 May 2015
In reply to JDal:
> The Right of Way doesn't give you a right to climb there

Hm. Bit of a moot point I think.
But nevertheless, beside the public rights of way, the concessionary paths around Stanage and the climbing at the bits of Stanage and Derwent edges on the estate are unaffected by the closure. It's only at Bamford that the crag is out of bounds.
 JDal 24 May 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

> Hm. Bit of a moot point I think.

Off topic and pedantic, but no it's not. There's a nice summary on Swansea Council's website (I think the law's the same in Wales)

"What can I do or take with me while on public rights of way?

You can do things which are incidental to the journey, such as stopping to rest, admire a view, take a photograph or draw a sketch for example. You can also take with you things which are usual accompaniments. These may include such items as rucksacks, binoculars or prams, pushchairs and wheelchairs where practicable, provided such items do not cause damage or cause nuisance to other users. Bicycles are not considered a usual accompaniment and are not permitted on public footpaths."

Plus the crag isn't actually on the RoW.

Might sound a bit picky, but we're trying to sort access with a dodgy landowner in Northumberland and this level of detail matters when you're telling these people what your rights are.
 deepsoup 24 May 2015
In reply to JDal:
> Might sound a bit picky.

Just a tad.
But whether you're right or wrong, for the sake of argument lets assume you're right and the landowner could insist that there's no climbing allowed: he doesn't. The climbing at Stanage is not affected by the closure of the access land. You just have to get there via one of the established paths. (Which almost everybody almost always does anyway.)

On the subject of not antagonising the landowner, it's worth mentioning that there is also effectively a permanent ban on dogs on that land which applies everywhere but on the RoW's themselves. (Dogs are always allowed on rights of way "under close control" - which for anything other than an exceptionally well trained dog effectively means a short lead.)
On the whole it would be best not to take the dog to the Northern end of Stanage, and certainly not to Bamford.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...