UKC

Vector, vapour or sirocco?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Smuge91 26 May 2015
Looking at getting a new helmet. Dose anyone know how robust the vector or vapour are ? I am a bit clumsy and don't want to drop at £120 helmet on the floor and render it useless. Have heard the sirocco is more robust but it is a hideous helmet. Any thoughts would be aprecialted
 galpinos 26 May 2015
In reply to Smuge91:

The starting point for me is which fit ME best. An uncomfortable helmet is one I'm reluctant to wear, which makes it expensive and useless.

Who cares what they look like?
 TobyA 26 May 2015
In reply to Smuge91:

This idea that if you drop a foam helmet, you'll ruin it is getting ridiculous! It's a helmet FFS. It is designed to stop your head being smashed to a pulp as you hit the rock, or a bit of rocks hits you. My Meteor is about a decade old and has had near weekly use for the first seven years, ice climbing, rock climbing and mountaineering. I still use it pretty regularly, or my kids wear it. I'm now mainly using the Edelrid foam one for most of my climbing (mainly because I just like the colour), that is three years old http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=4905 and still looks new.

I can't imagine that the BD ones or the Sirocco can be any less tough than these older models.
Removed User 26 May 2015
In reply to Smuge91:

Sirocco; lightest, passes more tests, and is the chapeau de jour<i/> for all the best alpinists.

If it fits,of course.
 SenzuBean 26 May 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Well the Sirocco is the only one without a plastic outer shell, which I suspect (and I think I read) makes it less abrasion resistant by a fairly large margin. If they ever release any other colours than traffic-cone orange, I'll try it myself to see.
 Robin Woodward 26 May 2015
In reply to Smuge91:

Just went through the same decision as you (after cracking the side of my meteor III - which had been going strong after a few years - in an >8 m fall). After shopping around I found the Vapour for £90, the Scirrocco for £70 and the Vector for £45. I decided to go for the vector (although I would love a vapour) so I can get a new cam guilt free (and won't feel so bad if I crack it eventually).
 beardy mike 26 May 2015
In reply to Smuge91:

I'm not saying this is representative by any means of the sirroco, and I have yet to send mine to Petzl to be examined, but...

bought mine this winter, it for 3 routes winter climbing. Hit it one lightly with the adze of an axe whilst swinging a little too enthusiastically with only a small indentation to show for it. Then transported it back home to the UK, and used it once, with no further impacts of any sort. It has now cracked across one of the vent holes. As far as I'm concerned, bar this one light hit with an adze, it has seen absolutely no abuse, has been stored well, and should not be broken. Make of it what you will, but I'm certainly not impressed, considering the price of it. I need tosend it off to Petzl for inspection, but haven't gotten around to popping it in the post yet...
 spenser 26 May 2015
In reply to Smuge91:

I've had a sirocco for the last 18 months or so and if it fits you it's a great helmet, it weighs very little, is well ventilated and has taken the minor knocks I've given it pretty well (usually whacking my head on roofs etc). It does look pretty god awful, all of my mates take the piss out of me when I'm wearing it but at the same time I don't need to look at it really so it's not a massive concern for me. With regards TobyA's point about dropping foam helmets, if there is nothing in the helmet then its kinetic energy at impact will be really small (at most 10 J from a 2m drop) compared to the amount of kinetic energy which must be dissipated in an impact while it is being worn. In low energy impacts the foam should be able to elastically deform like conventional materials so knocking your head on a roof or dropping an empty helmet should not cause it to be damaged. The stuff about retiring it after an impact is because you can get fractures developing beneath the surface of the foam which compromise its energy dissipation abilities, however I don't think this is likely to occur as a result of a low energy impact. The Sirocco is manufactured from EPP which has a different energy absorption mechanism to EPS (elastic deformation rather than fracture) so it should be capable of taking multiple impacts.
The outer shell on the EPS style helmets is needed to increase the area over which the energy of the impact is dissipated (think of a bouldering mat's structure, they are very similar concepts) and to improve protection against piercing impacts. If you are concerned about the abrasion resistance of a climbing helmet you are probably doing it wrong, I can't think of any situation where you are likely to drag a helmet along a rough surface with a high load on it at any great speed in normal use but would be happy to be corrected on this.
In response to Beardy Mike's comment I have seen a similar failure to what you describe, it may compromise the impact protection of the helmet in an impact on the affected face of the helmet, however I think it is unlikely to have an enormous effect on the energy dissipation in a top down impact. On the flip side one of my friends treats his like a football, I've seen it be dribbled and booted off trees on multiple occasions and the only bit which he has broken is the fancy magnetic buckle.
I was planning on doing my final year project on the multiple impact performance relating to climbing helmets this year, however none of the helmet manufacturers were willing/ able to give me the material samples to do the project.
 timmeehhhh 26 May 2015
In reply to Smuge91:

I am very pleased with my Vector. The fit is great for me and it comes in black, which makes me look like a mountain ninja (or so I like to believe). The Vapour is slightly more comfy, but a lot more expensive. I also don't know if has the same durability as the Vector.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...