UKC

first lead rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Juicymite86 26 May 2015
Just done my first day leading! Had a reyt good laugh, my grades have dropped to a 5+ from a 6c so lots to practice, i need to get a 50m rope for the local wall but no idea about thickness or make to choose, any help?
 andrewmc 26 May 2015
In reply to littlejon86:
Get any cheap single rope; for indoor use you don't need dry treatment. Typical manufacturers are Beal, Mammut, Edelrid etc; typical diameter around 10mm? (thinner ropes will normally wear out quickly, and if you are indoors you probably don't care about the weight saving...)

That said I would get a 60m rope in case you ever go outside (plus you can chop 5m off either end when the ends get skanky and still have a 50m rope).
Post edited at 11:03
 jkarran 26 May 2015
In reply to littlejon86:

If you're climbing indoors only for the foreseeable future then any cheap 10mm 30m 'wall rope' will do. Ropes take a beating and are basically disposable, there's no point buying more than you need.

If you have ambitions to climb outside or already are doing then 60m, ~10mm full rope with no fancy features (unless they come free) will do nearly everything you want and is still useful if you damage an end. Skinny (~9mm) ropes are nice but easier to kill on sharp rock.

jk
OP Juicymite86 27 May 2015
In reply to jkarran:

I need a 50 m for my local indoor wall, pretty big routes on it, been looking at eldrid one on ebay 9.8mm and 50m long
 kingborris 27 May 2015
In reply to littlejon86:

i'd say if you need a 50m for indoor, then get a 60m and cover yourself for most UK sport. the extra 10m wont make much difference indoors
In reply to littlejon86:

I hear lead rope is pretty heavy. I prefer Nylon ropes. Much lighter...
OP Juicymite86 27 May 2015
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Awesome ☺ so bad its good ha!
 1-2-3-40 27 May 2015
In reply to littlejon86:

Wall ropes do wear out, so for all walls a 50 m single cheapest you can find (Kendal routes up to 24 m).

Outside 80 m for modern sport routes, a starting place for close spaced bolts and loads to do at all grades Kalymnos.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...