UKC

Things I've noticed since I've taken up cycling...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 26 May 2015
Afternoon all,
I don't do a lot of cycling, 15 miles a day as my daily exercise after looking after my daughters so I'm just a bimbler and only been doing it for about 3 months.

I use my mountainbike on roads where there are no cycling lanes, roads where there are cycling lanes and pavements where there are pedestrian and cycling lanes. Take it all very sensible with my average speed on the roads being about 20 kph and maybe 15 on the pavement/cycle paths speeding up and slowing down depending on how busy it is.

So, so far I've noticed the following;

1. Some car drivers don't like you being on the road.
2. Some car drivers don't like you being on the cycle path on the road.
3. Some pedestrians don't like you being on the pavement/cycle path.
4. Some other bike owners don't like you being on the pavement/cycle path.
5. A lot of bike riders are total knobs and don't do themselves any favours at all.
5. All of the "team sky" professionals in their group of 6 leading the Tour de South Coast expect you, pedestrians and car drivers to get out of your way because they are special and have matching kit.
6. My mountainbike really does need road tyres!

Not a rant, just things I've noticed. I'm sure there are more.
Anyone else?
 Yanis Nayu 26 May 2015
In reply to Denni:

Mainly I've noticed that my life is worth a tiny fraction of the worth of the five seconds a car driver will save by overtaking me at the earliest possible moment.
 Mike Stretford 26 May 2015
In reply to Denni:
Ditch the MTB. I got a cross bike and can do most things I did on the MTB (I was never the bravest), but it's soooo much nicer on the road compared to an MTB.
Post edited at 17:40
 IMA 26 May 2015
In reply to Denni:

Not far wrong Denni. Get a CX or a pure road bike and you'll notice a difference in effort (not saying you ain't going to put more in and go even faster)
 beardy mike 26 May 2015
In reply to IMA:
I'd third that!
 The Potato 26 May 2015
In reply to Mike Stretford:

or if you dont want to spend much then slick tyres pumped up hard (use a track pump with a gauge) make a lot of difference

Ive noticed that as people travel faster their responses become exaggerated especially so with negative ones such as impatience aggression etc. this applies for all forms of transport.
 Kieran_John 26 May 2015
In reply to Denni:

I'm in with the group for (4). Not the Cycle Path, that makes sense, but pavement riders give us a bad name, passed the age of 12 I believe it's actually against the Highway Code?

But I agree with you on all the rest I had a truck driver yell abuse at me today, he nearly pulled out of a junction on me, broke, then yelled "For f's sake, hurry the f' up" whilst gesturing wildly at me.

I've taken to wearing a headcam now, just in case. Sometimes you spot funny or bizarre things...

youtube.com/watch?v=i_7KiWCxCcE&

Roguevfr 26 May 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

He broke? No wonder he yelled at you.
 girlymonkey 26 May 2015
In reply to Denni:

On my ride home today I learnt that head winds are hard work and slow you down mre than you would think.
I also learnt that one side of my pedals gives me sore and numb feet and the other doesn't.
In general I have learnt that pedestrians will walk out onto the road in front of you and there are some lovely drivers who give you loads of space, and then there are the others!
 ThunderCat 26 May 2015
In reply to Denni:

You tend to find that wherever you are cycling to, it's always uphill, and always into a headwind. even on the way home.
 Ramblin dave 26 May 2015
In reply to Denni:

> Not a rant, just things I've noticed. I'm sure there are more.

> Anyone else?

The Green Cross Code might need overhauling because "listen" seems to be the only part that anyone remembers.
In reply to Ramblin dave:

What, as in "listen to some bangin' tunes"...?
 Trevers 26 May 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

> I'm in with the group for (4). Not the Cycle Path, that makes sense, but pavement riders give us a bad name, passed the age of 12 I believe it's actually against the Highway Code?

I don't generally have a problem with cyclists doing it so long as they're courteous and cede right of way to pedestrians. I was once cycling along an offroad footpath to shave 5 minutes off my journey to the train station in the morning. A pedestrian was coming towards me so I stopped and pulled to one side for him to pass and got abuse for it! This is on my non-road bike which is so painfully slow and heavy that I don't always fancy mixing with traffic, on my road bike I'm happy in traffic

> I've taken to wearing a headcam now, just in case. Sometimes you spot funny or bizarre things...

I honestly thought the wheel was gonna come bouncing along the road and knock you off!
 Trevers 26 May 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

> On my ride home today I learnt that head winds are hard work and slow you down mre than you would think.

On training or leisure rides, always head out into the wind initially. Or you will go too far with the wind at your back and suffer all the way back home!
OP Denni 26 May 2015
In reply to Trevers:

Had forgotten about our lovely head wind here on the Solent!
I find I totally smash the inland bit then turn onto the main road past the Solent and sometimes It feels like I'm going nowhere and end up hanging!

I've thought about getting some road tyres for my bike as I do like it (Cube AIM 29er). I don't want to buy a roda bike as I don't really need on and for 15-20 miles a day my Cube is ok although it has huge knobblys.

So then, tell me about cx bikes and could I use one on my many mountainbike trails through the new forest?
 Trevers 26 May 2015
In reply to Denni:

> Had forgotten about our lovely head wind here on the Solent!

> I find I totally smash the inland bit then turn onto the main road past the Solent and sometimes It feels like I'm going nowhere and end up hanging!

That moment when you realise your previous speed wasn't entirely down to your physical prowess :P

OP Denni 26 May 2015
In reply to Trevers:

Indeed!
 snoop6060 26 May 2015
In reply to Denni:

I've noticed that as soon as people take up cycling, they cannot resist droning on about shit on the Internet.

It's almost like they took it up just so they can make a point.
OP Denni 26 May 2015
In reply to snoop6060:

I've noticed that as soon as people try a new food, they cannot resist droning on about shit on the Internet.

It's almost like they ate it just so they could make a point.

"I recently ate calfs brains which were quite like a super smooth, light (greyish) omelette. An omelette piped into the pattern of a brain! On Boxing Day we had a game of trivial pursuit where if you got a question wrong you had to spin a roulette thing with shot glasses in each segment. Except they were filled with insects. Dry, edible ones from amazon. Crickets, locusts and meal worms. They were grim to be honest. Good fun though. Even my mother got involved and had a shot of worms.

Lamb's fries are next."
 Timmd 26 May 2015
In reply to Denni:
I find an MTB with front suspension forks and disc brakes gives me the ability to hop out of the way up curbs and to stop suddenly. I've not needed to hop out of the way (yet), but I find it reassuring to be able to.

Going to get my cracked alu Kona frame repaired so I can have it as a commuting MTB which has the above abilities...
Post edited at 21:32
 Brass Nipples 26 May 2015
In reply to Denni:

That on a bike In London my average speed is 4mph faster than when in my car on the same roads.

Removed User 26 May 2015
In reply to Denni:
I've learnt that having big balls, while good for climbing, is not so good for cycling.
Post edited at 22:21
 Timmd 26 May 2015
In reply to Removed User:

The opposite is probably needed for commuting.
 SteveoS 26 May 2015

I've noticed that when cycling on a shared use path people still like to shout and complain. Then complain even more when you point at the 3 large signs that say it is indeed a shared path and I wasn't dinging my bell at them for the fun of it.

Also, people walking with headphones on such paths are incredibly frustrating.
Post edited at 23:37
 Oldsign 27 May 2015
In reply to SteveoS:

Today I learned that some lycra-boys have such a boner for their 14k lumen LEDs that they will use them even on a bright sunny afternoon.
 felt 27 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I think he might have been meaning it literally.
 deepsoup 27 May 2015
In reply to snoop6060:

You know that this thread is in the cycling forum right? And that you can switch it off?

Go to "my forums" up there ^^, hit "favourite forums", de-select this one and bingo! Less shit on the internet.
(From your point of view, what you're reading here. As an added bonus for everyone else, what you write.)
 andy 27 May 2015
In reply to SteveoS:

> Also, people walking with headphones on such paths are incredibly frustrating.

Especially when combined with a small dog on an extendable lead - have nearly been wiped out twice in the last couple of months by a small pooch running across the road with an owner oblivious to what's coming due to headphones - and of course you get a tirade of abuse, despite several unheeded warning shouts.

Xharlie 27 May 2015
In reply to Denni:

I've learned that association with a bicycle earns you naught but hate from a huge number of people - pedestrians, drivers and train passengers, mostly. An hour of hate, at 06h30, is no way to start a day. It does not matter whether it is unjustified or unfair, it still ruins your day.

I've learned that motorbike and moped drivers think they're allowed to behave like bicycles and will block the cycle lane and clog up your ASL and try their best to total you as they blast off when the lights go amber. They couldn't give half a continental fuuck.

Mostly, I've learned that there are untold numbers of idiot cyclists on the road who ARE a real menace. I watch them, every day, cycling through reds, cutting up other cyclists and generally ruining everyone's road-experience. (Like the block who tried to squeeze through on my left, yesterday, and had to brake when he realised he wouldn't fit, and subsequently swore vehemently at me because I hadn't let him past - as if it was his divine right to "undertake" and the fact that he didn't fit was entirely my fault. I don't think the safety, or lack thereof, even entered into his head.)
 steveriley 27 May 2015
In reply to Denni:

I have learned that riding a bike is a simple way of brightening up a day.
 AlisonSmiles 27 May 2015
In reply to Denni:

I've noticed my tolerance of other people who cycle going through red lights has gone from non judgmental through to amused through to indignant outrage. I think I got so immersed in the political and similar arguments about it that when I realised that people who drive cars bracket all people who ride bikes together that the irrational but real anger about "cheating" and disobeying the rules of the road so flagrantly cascades into annoyance at all people who ride bikes, and the attitude of intolerance that can shift into how people drive cars round people who ride bikes.

It's not doing much for my tolerance of other human beings on the road.
 adityahs 27 May 2015
In reply to Denni:
I've learned that wearing headphones / peering into a mobile telephone is a normal state for humans in public spaces and that I should not expect people to have heard me just because I've rung my bell.

I now know that people's responses vary to being cyled past / run past: some wish to be warned by a bell ring, some with more vigorous hails, and some remain oblivious to all stimuli until they are passed, at which they display such an exaggerated startle response that I feel guilty at having ruined their day.

I am guilty of giving dogs a wide berth if their owners look intimidating, when in truth it seems that both nice and scary people are equally capable of shortening a dog leash for a few seconds to help both me and them stay safe.

Some people seem not to be able to warn their dogs / toddlers about approaching cyclists / runners until they are imminent, at which point they will do something ineffectual, like letting the child or dog run across the path of the approaching danger while telling them not to.
Post edited at 10:56
 Hat Dude 27 May 2015
In reply to Trevers:

> On training or leisure rides, always head out into the wind initially. Or you will go too far with the wind at your back and suffer all the way back home!

I've learnt that when you set out into a headwind, by the time you turn for home it will have veered round so you get a headwind on the way home too!
 LastBoyScout 27 May 2015
In reply to Hat Dude:

> I've learnt that when you set out into a headwind, by the time you turn for home it will have veered round so you get a headwind on the way home too!

If you're not always cycling into a headwind, you're not trying hard enough
 kathrync 27 May 2015
In reply to adityahs:

I have noticed most of the same phenomena. I have also noticed that if I make an effort to smile and say thanks to the people who step aside or make an effort with their dogs/children, the journey goes a lot more smoothly
 LastBoyScout 27 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> I find an MTB with front suspension forks and disc brakes gives me the ability to hop out of the way up curbs and to stop suddenly. I've not needed to hop out of the way (yet), but I find it reassuring to be able to.

People were hopping up curbs and stopping quickly long before suspension forks or disk brakes were invented - it's all about technique and setup.
 adityahs 27 May 2015
In reply to kathrync:

Oh yes. Also, nothing punctures my balloon of righteous indignation than a smile from the offending other.
 Timmd 27 May 2015
In reply to LastBoyScout:
> People were hopping up curbs and stopping quickly long before suspension forks or disk brakes were invented - it's all about technique and setup.

I'm guessing you won't disagree that disc brakes and front suspension don't make them both easier though.

PS. Did people really hop up curbs before front suspension forks?
Post edited at 12:01
 Martin W 27 May 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

> pavement riders give us a bad name, passed the age of 12 I believe it's actually against the Highway Code?

It's against the law for anyone to ride on the footway, but children younger than 10 are below the age of criminal responsibility so can't be prosecuted for it (and nor can they be issued with a fixed penalty notice because the age limit for that is 16). I believe that the advice given to police officers is to 'exercise discretion' wrt children riding on the footway.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/blog/victoria-hazael/children-cycle-pavement

It is, of course, also illegal for anyone to drive on the footway. That didn't seem to bother the truck driver who followed me down Hanover Street yesterday evening. He first pulled over in to a bus stop, which is signed as "No stopping at any time except buses". This appeared to worry him, since he didn't stop but continued to drive slowly in straight line - meaning that he mounted the pavement because the bus stop was recessed - and trailed along behind me at walking speed until he was clear of the bus stop and could 'safely' park on a double yellow with most of his vehicle obstructing pedestrians.

My experience of regularly travelling by foot, bike, car and public transport is that selfish, inconsiderate and criminal road users of all kinds appear to be proliferating daily.
 LastBoyScout 27 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> I'm guessing you won't disagree that disc brakes and front suspension don't make them both easier though.

Not necessarily - suspension forks are quite a bit heavier and any amount of stopping power only works if you've got the right tyres for the surface.

> PS. Did people really hop up curbs before front suspension forks?

I really should restrain my inner pedant at times
 jkarran 27 May 2015
In reply to Denni:

My experience of cycling is much like my experience of driving, walking the dog, climbing and all the other things I've tried over the years.

People are varied; some are nice, some are dicks, some considerate and kind, others selfish, some clever, some dim, some timid, some bold, some competent, some less so. Some are very tribal about their 'thing', others aren't. Mostly when things go bad it's misjudgment not malice. We all make mistakes and when it happens we're often shocked, defensive and act out of character.

jk
 Timmd 27 May 2015
In reply to jkarran:

Well put.
 fmck 27 May 2015
In reply to jkarran:

> My experience of cycling is much like my experience of driving, walking the dog, climbing and all the other things I've tried over the years.

> People are varied; some are nice, some are dicks, some considerate and kind, others selfish, some clever, some dim, some timid, some bold, some competent, some less so. Some are very tribal about their 'thing', others aren't. Mostly when things go bad it's misjudgment not malice. We all make mistakes and when it happens we're often shocked, defensive and act out of character.

> jk

You missed the important bit of always use sunscreen.

Jimbo C 27 May 2015
In reply to Denni:

I have learnt to expect that any other user of the road or pavement has not seen or heard you and is about to step/ pull out in front of you.

I have learnt to ride my bike as if it was a car when moving in traffic that is slower than me.
 nathan79 27 May 2015
In reply to Xharlie:

> I've learned that motorbike and moped drivers think they're allowed to behave like bicycles and will block the cycle lane and clog up your ASL and try their best to total you as they blast off when the lights go amber. They couldn't give half a continental fuuck.

I've noticed this more and more (from the drivimg seat of my car, I'm not a cyclist-yet). Cheeky buggers!

Timmd 27 May 2015
In reply to Jimbo C:

> I have learnt to expect that any other user of the road or pavement has not seen or heard you and is about to step/ pull out in front of you.

Yes, I'm hoping I'll pass my driving test this year after a few years of anticipating people's mistakes and randomness.

> I have learnt to ride my bike as if it was a car when moving in traffic that is slower than me.

Half the fun is going down the centre line in slow(er) moving traffic.
 deepsoup 27 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:
> PS. Did people really hop up curbs before front suspension forks?

What, on a road bike? Good lord no. ;O)

youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmJtYaUTa0&
 petellis 27 May 2015
In reply to jkarran:

> My experience of cycling is much like my experience of driving, walking the dog, climbing and all the other things I've tried over the years.

No no no no no JK, if you haven't become incredibly self rightous then you can't have experienced cycling, try again with a video camera on you head.

Removed User 27 May 2015
In reply to Denni:

Learnings:
- Most climbers are cyclists, drivers and pedestrians usually rolled into one, and generally tolerant.
- cyclists often change personality when they get on a bike, especially those with funny clothing on. They become smug, self-righteous, stupid and aggressive. They normally have no ability to stop.
- drivers are almost universally incompetent apart from a smallish minority. Most are blissfully unaware of space, what the steering wheel does, what is happening to the side or beyond 10 metres in front. An AA van came towards my side of the road last night - I think he was looking at his GPS.
- most pedestrians have a death-wish. Add in ear phones and a bit of texting, perfect equation.
 jkarran 27 May 2015
In reply to petellis:

Ah... I knew I must be doing something wrong, I thought it might be my flat pedals but it all makes sense now

jk
 Timmd 27 May 2015
In reply to Removed User:
I've recently learnt to assume that people won't check over their right shoulder before pulling round a stationary bus in traffic, have almost got caught out a couple of times but I think being generally wary stopped me going to quickly to react.

It's not that difficult to use your bleedin' neck grrr...
Post edited at 16:02
Removed User 28 May 2015
In reply to Denni:

I've learnt that anyone going slower than me is a fool and anyone going faster than me is an idiot.
 Xharlie 28 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:
I, too, have noticed people's inability to use their necks. Have you considered that climbers are typically far more flexible than most average blokes and have an advantage? Also, I think the road surface and road design plays a huge role in this. There are some places in London where it is damn near impossible to look behind you and not have a crash!

Of course, the RIGHT thing to do is to anticipate the bus stop and, long before you reach it, to move into a primary position in the next lane to the right - at a point where you can still match speeds with the traffic and execute a proper lane-change. This technique does not work with taxis and HGVs which stop anywhere and everywhere, sans indication, and can earn you a dollop more hate from the drivers in that lane who resent your presence and, particularly, your legal use of the primary position.

EDIT: Note that the PRIMARY position here is mandatory because, if you try to overtake a stationary vehicle by being on the line or near the edge of the lane, you WILL get squeezed up against it by an inconsiderate arsehole and will likely die.
Post edited at 09:00
 Timmd 28 May 2015
In reply to Xharlie:

It sounds like London can be more hectic than Sheffield for cycling, 'most' drivers now give you a couple of feet or more of space when going past, I've been aware of a gradual change in driver awareness.

People's heads seem to turn okay if they hear an Air Zound air horn or a tap on their window I've noticed.
 Webster 28 May 2015
In reply to Denni:

I generally take the attitude when out on my bike that everybody is out to get me - motorists want to kill you, pedestrians are all idiots who dont pay attention and dogs have absolutely no sense of self preservation!

i find that taking this attitude out with me on a bike does far more for my well being than taking a helmet, high vis everything and lights visible from space!

i so often hear from cyclists who have been run over/in an accident that "i had the correct road position, it was my right of way, i had the green light, im wearing all the correct gear etc etc...", did any of those things stop the accident? and did having the moral/legal high ground prevent their broken arm?

approach every junction, crossing, corner with caution regardless of whos right of way it is!
 AndyC 28 May 2015
In reply to Webster:

> I generally take the attitude when out on my bike that everybody is out to get me - motorists want to kill you, pedestrians are all idiots who dont pay attention and dogs have absolutely no sense of self preservation!

It's nothing personal - given that a ridiculous percentage of drivers would fail an eyesight test, others are texting or talking on their mobile phones or trying to program their satnavs. Pedestrians are encased in their noise cancelling headphones while they stare at Facebook on their tiny screens. Nobody knows you're there anymore, apart from the dogs - and they just do it to wind you up!
 Jimbo C 28 May 2015
In reply to Webster:

Agreed. A good example of this happened on my last ride where I was going down a steep hill and approaching a narrowed single lane section where vehicles coming up the hill have priority. Only problem is they put this feature on a bend with poor visibility due to parked cars. As I slowed down to get a view round the corner 2 pedestrians on my left assumed I was slowing down for them to cross, walked out in front with a cheerful 'thank you' and forced me to stop. I could easily have ploughed into them had I not been half anticipating it.
Removed User 28 May 2015
In reply to Jimbo C:

> 2 pedestrians on my left assumed I was slowing down for them to cross

This seems to happen quite a lot with cars pulling out of side roads; cyclist slows down in case car decides to pull out, driver thinks cyclist is slowing down to let them out, cyclist ploughs into side of car (or narrowly avoids doing so).
 Timmd 28 May 2015
In reply to Webster:

> I generally take the attitude when out on my bike that everybody is out to get me - motorists want to kill you, pedestrians are all idiots who dont pay attention and dogs have absolutely no sense of self preservation!

> i find that taking this attitude out with me on a bike does far more for my well being than taking a helmet, high vis everything and lights visible from space!

> i so often hear from cyclists who have been run over/in an accident that "i had the correct road position, it was my right of way, i had the green light, im wearing all the correct gear etc etc...", did any of those things stop the accident? and did having the moral/legal high ground prevent their broken arm?

> approach every junction, crossing, corner with caution regardless of whos right of way it is!

Yes, a person will always come of worst against a car even if they are in the right.
 Alan M 29 May 2015
In reply to Denni:
Ouch!!

Just goes to show that there are people on the roads not concentrating on what they are doing.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/watch-sefton-park-cyclis...
Post edited at 23:54
 Wsdconst 30 May 2015
In reply to Denni:

I hate road riding but I'm lucky enough to live on the transpenine trail so have plenty of nice off road cycle routes,everyone's seems friendly and says hello(well most do) but I think it's for my little 4 year old in the trailer waving at them more than it is for me.
 Dogwatch 26 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:
> 5. A lot of bike riders are total knobs and don't do themselves any favours at all.

I recently cycled 20 miles along a canal path, averaging 7-8mph. Slow mostly because it was full of walkers, children and dogs, half the time you can only see 10-20 yards ahead and it just wasn't safe to go faster. On getting home and looking at the route on Strava I find other cyclists have been clocking 20mph average over long stretches. Impressive quads guys, shame about what's between the ears. Want to cycle at 20mph? There's the road.
Post edited at 08:50
 neilh 26 Jun 2015
I too am new to this cycling lark, as the Mrs bought me a road bike for Christmas.

It is become totally addictive.I am fortunate in that I live on the edge of Warrington where I can easily get into the North Cheshire countryside.There are literally loads of road bikers out in the evening.

I am very wary over lorrys and cars ( probably all those years of driving) and I ride cautiously when in traffic.

The only thing that really bugs me is trying to get the right riding position so that it does not set off carpel tunnel syndrome- any tips would be useful.Its stopping me doing long rides.

The other gripe(!) is that I have not been bouldering in the evenings, as its easier to get out on my bike.

balmybaldwin 26 Jun 2015
In reply to neilh:

> The only thing that really bugs me is trying to get the right riding position so that it does not set off carpel tunnel syndrome- any tips would be useful.Its stopping me doing long rides.

Sounds like your handlebars are too narrow - worth getting yourself measured if you can, or DIY via something like Sheldon Brown's website

Bob 26 Jun 2015
In reply to Dogwatch:

About a third of my commute is along a canal tow path, sometimes in the morning it's empty, sometimes there's a few walker/runners, sometimes it's rammed. Whatever, I just go along at however slow I need to be, on an empty day I might average 24kmh, when it's busy I might average 12-14Kmh. The other morning I stopped and had a pleasant chat with a woman out walking her dog - I had made her jump when I announced my presence as she was engrossed in her phone - no harm done and we were perfectly civil about things.

Over time you tend to see the same people, we are creatures of habit so walk the dog,;set off on the commute at about the same time, so there's lots of "hello"s and "Good morning"s. There's a few (mainly cyclists it must be said) who refuse to acknowledge your presence or return the greeting.

Part of the attraction of cycling (to me) is that you can interact in a social and friendly manner with whoever you pass, it's completely different to being isolated in a 1 tonne (or heavier) metal box.
 Bob 26 Jun 2015
In reply to neilh:

+1 to the narrow handlebars. When I had a custom road bike built up back in the 1980s, I was measured up as if for a suit and it included my shoulder width. A mate got on the bike and complained about the handlebars being too wide but they were right for me.
 Rog Wilko 26 Jun 2015
In reply to Trevers:

> On training or leisure rides, always head out into the wind initially. Or you will go too far with the wind at your back and suffer all the way back home!

Then the wind drops or turns to the opposite direction. Bird in the hand....
 AlisonSmiles 26 Jun 2015
In reply to Bob:

Just went back and checked my last GPS thingy and realised I average about 16kph on the towpath over a section about 30 mins long, one where I'm reasonably certain I encountered the usual mix of runners, dog walkers and family groups, all of which I slow down for, and indeed talk to. Last night I had one of those chatty rides where I found myself using proper full sentences to walkers who I came up behind - "excuse me please do you mind if I just bobble past on the right" - my exact words indeed, followed up of course with a thank you. I winced as I heard myself. Bobble - who says bobble? I am surprised they didn't elbow me into the canal with that kind of language.

Rog Wilko 26 Jun 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> It's not that difficult to use your bleedin' neck grrr...

Well, speaking as a retired old git living on the labours of others, it is increasingly difficult to turn ones neck.
Post edited at 09:54
 girlymonkey 26 Jun 2015
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

I might start asking people if I can bobble past! I like it :-D
 TobyA 26 Jun 2015

Does bobbling have a specific meaning? As post to just "come past"? Do you do a little trick by way of acknowledging them as you pass them? A bunny hop perhaps?
 AlisonSmiles 26 Jun 2015
In reply to TobyA:

I have no idea what I was thinking. I opened my mouth and out it came. I think it was a mix of bimble and wobble or potentially some kind of reference to potter. It felt very middle age, middle class guardian reader, even as I heard my own words. I suspect I was going for non threatening ...
 steveriley 26 Jun 2015

Apropos of not very much, earlier this week I was running up behind a tattoo-d big bloke with a couple of scary looking dogs. 'Here we go' I thought. Best give him fair warning, and said something equally naff... 'Ooh you scared me right to death!' he squealed quite camply. Never judge a scary big bloke book by his cover.
 NottsRich 26 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

That riding 20mph on a DH track over rocks and between trees is fun. That riding on the road is anything but, and I avoid it like the plague. Hazards like rocks and trees are down to my skill to avoid. Your skill can only take you so far on the road, it's the lack of skill from other people that is what will kill you. To me that's not controllable enough (with the present cycle infrastructure and attitude towards cycling) so I will remain not cycling on the roads.

I'm pleased that the number of commuting bikes in Edinburgh this year seems to be more than last year, and more than the year before that as well. It's getting better.
 Webster 26 Jun 2015
In reply to Dogwatch:

> I recently cycled 20 miles along a canal path, averaging 7-8mph. Slow mostly because it was full of walkers, children and dogs, half the time you can only see 10-20 yards ahead and it just wasn't safe to go faster. On getting home and looking at the route on Strava I find other cyclists have been clocking 20mph average over long stretches. Impressive quads guys, shame about what's between the ears. Want to cycle at 20mph? There's the road.

I think you will find many (most?) tow paths are designated cycle routes, generally the safest place for a cyclist to be - apart from the stupid dogs!
OP Denni 27 Jun 2015
In reply to Webster:

Something else I noticed recently.

Having done a charity bike ride from London to Brighton last weekend, good positive atmosphere, loads of people in it for the social aspect, well organised route, closed roads, didn't really have to worry about the traffic in London etc, police and organisers did an excellent job and not taxing and I enjoyed it.

However, we met a group of half a dozen or so guys and gals constantly moaning that people were walking up the hills and getting in their way, mainly the Beacon, the big one near the end.

When I asked them why they were moaning, apparently they wanted to beat their time from previous years because even though it is a charity event, they use the fact that the roads are closed etc to try and race each other and beat their time as a sort of bet with each other. When I pointed out that " yes, trying to race each other 54 miles to Brighton cutting up people on tandems, groups of people on choppers, parents with tag along bikes and trailers etc etc wasn't a good idea" her response was well we are faster so they should move out of the way and basically implying that anyone slower than them should not go on the right hand side of the route as they are otentially getting in the way of "real cyclists".

Luckily they seem to be a minority but arrogance abound none the less. I'd thoroughly recommend the London to Brighton ride, really enjoyed it, great people raising money, nice weather, a small pint half way in and as long as you've done some roads miles, not taxing at all
 Dogwatch 27 Jun 2015
In reply to Webster:
> I think you will find many (most?) tow paths are designated cycle routes, generally the safest place for a cyclist to be - apart from the stupid dogs!

My point wasn't what is safest for cyclists and no this towpath isn't a designated cycling route although it's open to cyclists with the requirement to dismount under bridges (which are frequent). My point was the risk excessively fast cyclists inflict on other towpath users (and dogs are entitled to there and be as stupid as they like). The competitive mindset Strava and similar bring to this plays a part too.

All it's going to take is a couple of accidents involving cyclists taking out walkers for us to be banned, as is already the case along one section.
Post edited at 16:26
 Timmd 27 Jun 2015
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Well, speaking as a retired old git living on the labours of others, it is increasingly difficult to turn ones neck.

I'm sure you do look both ways before crossing the road, though?
 Dogwatch 30 Jun 2015
In reply to neilh:

> The only thing that really bugs me is trying to get the right riding position so that it does not set off carpel tunnel syndrome- any tips would be useful.Its stopping me doing long rides.

May or may not be the same problem but I'd previously start getting pins and needles in my hands after an hour or so. Turned out to be bad technique, not bad position. Have some flex in your elbows, don't lock out your arms, and rotate through different hand positions, don't be on the hoods too much.

jasonC abroad 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Webster:

They are cycle routes but they also have signs up - "Share the space drop your pace", the tow paths are for people walking their dogs, going for a walk, run etc. I cycle along one most days but a lot of cyclist seem to refuse to slow down when the path is crowded, this is around Camden where children walk to school along it. Not sure if it is really the dogs who are stupid.
 Webster 30 Jun 2015
In reply to jasonC abroad:

dogs are stupid, they have absolutely no sense of self preservation! that wasn't a comment in reply to your comment, it was a statment of fact!
 Dogwatch 02 Jul 2015

Of course they have a sense of self-preservation, otherwise they'd have died out tens of thousands of years ago. What they don't have is traffic sense. We have to have that sense for them. So slow down cycling around dogs because you cannot predict what they will do.
Post edited at 07:51
 antdav 02 Jul 2015
I gave up cycle commuting after 6 weeks. 3 times I was hit by a car. None serious but enough to put me off.

Each time I was in the right position, had eye contact but it seems the drivers see cyclists as someone who will slow them down so try to sneak ahead, which generally means that the cyclist has to emergency stop or career off the road. This is even more stupid when they are racing ahead to a queue of traffic which means I pass them.

Pedestrians are the same. Why would you try and run across the road in front of 80 kilos of bright orange travelling at 20 mph.

I started to assume everyone was a cyclist hating driver and it doesn't help. Distractions, idiots and the oblivious nature of some people will always kill and injure.

Drop the speed limit to 20 in city centres won't impact the drivers journey times but will stop them overtaking dangerously.
 AlisonSmiles 02 Jul 2015
In reply to Denni:

I've learned I'm scared of horses. They are large, unpredictable beasties with the ability to unexpectedly rear up and wave big legs and hard hooves around. I was over taken by a galloping horse going uphill on a steep bridleway on Tuesday night and experience wise it was up there with a close overtake by a tipper lorry on the A6 for the element of terror.
Jim C 02 Jul 2015
In reply to IMA:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> Not far wrong Denni. Get a CX or a pure road bike and you'll notice a difference in effort (not saying you ain't going to put more in and go even faster)

But if you are only cycling for exercise and to get fitter, and you have limited time, you will find you have to go loads further(or faster or both) to expend the same effort with a fancy road bike , so if that is that case, just stick with the MTB and you will get your exercise done quicker.
 nufkin 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Dogwatch:

> So slow down cycling around dogs because you cannot predict what they will do.

You can fairly confidently predict that they'll suddenly stop right in your path to look around at something else.

The likelihood of this is inversely proportional to the size of the dog

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...