UKC

Have you climbed in Cumbria, England?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
google mapHave you climbed in this area, or do you have the guidebook? We are missing map locations for the following crags, so it would be great if you could add them. You don't need to be a crag moderator - simply click on the crag name, then position it on the map of that area. You can fill in other crag details at the same time if you want to.

Map locations make it so much easier for users to find crags when searching, as well as spotting duplicate crags that are in the same location. We also have a big list of all the world climbing areas that are missing crag map locations:
- http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/wanted2.html

Many thanks!

petegunn 27 May 2015
In reply to UKC Logbooks:
Tilburthwaite is probably a miss spelling of Tilberthwaite.

The Foss Howe Boulders might better known as the Seathwaite Boulders in the Duddon valley.

Seathwaite Upper Slabs NY 228 124

Dufton Gill, These might be the sandstone quarries mentioned in the North of England Rock Climbs by Stew Wilson, 4 miles north of Appleby G.R. 688249
Post edited at 18:24
 GPN 27 May 2015
In reply to UKC Logbooks:
The Foss Howe Boulders are presumably a miss-spelling of Foss How in the Duddon Valley and are covered in the database here: Seathwaite Bouldering Circuit

Cheers,

George.
Post edited at 20:01
In reply to petegunn:
Dufton Gill was certainly not mentioned in the original 1980 NoE guide, but I'm almost certain it got a mentioned in the later revision. I initially pointed it out to Stew and Ronnie after I came across it on one of my lunchtime wanders whilst repping in the area ( I lived in Culgaith at the time) We felt it was barely worth the effort - most of it was barely 20 ft high- and was green, overgrown, very soft rock with few natural features, and not lending itself to trad climbing. It was not a patch on Kings Meaburn or the sandstone crags of Armathwaite, Lazonby or even Scratchmere Scar. Cow Rake Quarry at Penrith was a more attractive option!
Post edited at 21:23
 Lankyman 28 May 2015
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

Yes, Alan - noted in the 1992 guide but omitted entirely from the recent FRCC Eden Valley tome. These minor venues shouldn't ever be totally written off though, fashions change and soft red sandstone may be the next big thing one day .... . I recall having to almost bribe people to go to Slipstones (where?) back in the 80's. There is a footpath through the gill and it's thick with bluebells just now. It would look better in early Spring when the leaves aren't on the trees. Now, those huge blank walls in the Gelt Woods might be worth looking at (although I believe the SSSI status might prove problematic?). Cheers, Karl.
In reply to Lankyman:

Dufton Gill is certainly a pretty spot for a wander - as are the Gelt Woods. Both would yield some interesting top rope problems or highball bouldering. I dont think people woud take kindly to a load of chalky dabs in Gelt Woods - though you might get away with it at Dufton!
 winhill 28 May 2015
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

Was in Gelt Woods on Wednesday on a random visit but didn't notice any rusting pegs, is it SSSI? Very green but definite potential, although it looked more suitable to bouldering?

Then messed about on the Geltstone today.

The detail is still on the FRCC website it's listed as Minor Crags North.

http://manage.hotscot.net/customer_images/FA00F036-E183-44C7-A38C-40C3F0D4F...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...