UKC

Yosemite - Campgrounds outside the park

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hey guys

I'm going to be in Yosemite for a couple of weeks in September, and all the campsite reservations in the valley are totally booked up. Anyone got any suggestions for decent sites near the valley? We'll be coming from San Fran so ideally that side. We'd rather not have to deal with the scrum at camp 4 if possible...
 Peter Milner 28 May 2015
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr:

I really liked White Wolf on the road to Tuolumne (it has a load of boulders around the site so it feels slightly like Font, though no-one seems to use them). Crane Flat (slightly closer to the valley) is OK too. The valley is a short drive from either.
 hamsforlegs 28 May 2015

How close do you need to be to the valley?

We stayed in Tuolumne Meadows campground a couple of years ago. It's a fair drive round to the valley, but was very nice to be in the cool of the meadows and (relatively) out of the madness. Good hiking/running/scrambling right out of the campground, but not really ideal if you want quick access to the valley or easy trips for pizza/beer etc in the evenings.
In reply to hamsforlegs:

Ideally we want to be near the valley - we'll be doing shorter bigwalls hopefully so getting there early on the right days is the plan.

Crane flats is totally booked up and white wolf is closed for half our stay
 IainWhitehouse 28 May 2015

There is (or used to be?) a free campground near to El Portal. As I remember you turned left (as you approach the valley) off the highway to the west of El Portal. Cross the Merced river and turn left again and then go back on yourself for a km or two (or three???) and there is a fre campground with bear boxes etc.

I just had a squint on Google maps but couldn't see it quickly. I'd guess it was on incline road?? If you ask the question on SUpertop I'd guess someone there could tell you better than me.
 Offwidth 28 May 2015

Its up to you and there are more cancellations as the year lengthens but its often a long drive with all the speed limits both ways or Camp 4.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/nrcamping.htm
 SteveSBlake 29 May 2015

As mentioned above, Crane Flat is possibly the best option, close to the junction for the Valley or Tuolumne. On my last visit we rented a cabin at Yosemite Pines near Groveland. The commute was about 75 min - depending on traffic, which can be very slow......... And it was quite expensive, but it may be your nearest option. They have specific 'tent' sites.

www.yosemitepinesrv.com

Regards,

Steve
 Fredt 29 May 2015

We've always stayed at The Pines camp-ground, to the west, outside the Park.
Quiet, peaceful and about 30 mins drive to El Cap.
 jon_gill1 29 May 2015

I know you say that you don't really want to be in camp 4 but its not all that bad,we stayed there for two weeks and you can go to a near by campsite for showers at 5 dollars a pop,baring in mind camp 4 is only about 5 dollars a night its worth considering for ease of access.

I was initially worried about how noisy etc camp 4 would be but it was only the bear boxes that were an issue banging when they are shut but they will be at nearly every site.

We did the prow on Washington column which was a great route,about A2/+ as a lot of fixed gear had blown.hope you have a great trip.
 Offwidth 29 May 2015
In reply to SteveSBlake:

Crane Flat hasnt had drive-in spaces for a few years now and reservation cancellations will be more convenient in the valley.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/cranecamp.htm

Thanks for all the options guys! We found a place just west of Crane Flats and booked there. Then we'll have a go at walking into camp 4 a day or two before we actually need to be in the valley early (once we have our bearings). A bit more expensive than just risking it, but a lot cheaper than a cabin still! Its all starting to come together now

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...