UKC

Joining the CAF?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alexm198 02 Jun 2015
[Not sure this is in the right forum, but it is Alpine related]

Looking at joining the CAF for insurance purposes and hut discounts. Have spent a while trawling through the CAF website but with the amount of French insurance jargon it's been pretty tricky to make proper sense of it all. I know there's a translated policy document but filling out all the fields for joining a local club is still very much in French.

Has anybody got any experience of joining in the CAF office in Chamonix? Do they speak reasonable English there or will it likely be just as difficult?
 mypyrex 02 Jun 2015
In reply to alexm198:

What about the Austrian Alpine Club? They have a UK section:
http://aacuk.org.uk/
 kylo-342 02 Jun 2015
In reply to alexm198:

How about the Austrian Alpine Club (UK)? offers insurance and hut discounts & the website is in English etc etc etc:

http://aacuk.org.uk/

planetmarshall 02 Jun 2015
In reply to alexm198:

The UK Alpine club gets reciprocal hut rights - not sure about insurance, though.

OP alexm198 02 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Thanks for the replies, I've already done all the research etc. and CAF does seem to represent best value for money in terms of actual insurance limits and reciprocal rights.

The AAC(UK) max medical payout is tiny!
OP alexm198 02 Jun 2015
In reply to alexm198:

Also, the AAC(UK) insurance only covers trips up to 80 days (or thereabouts), and I'm in Cham for 5 months, so it really isn't useful unfortunately.
 jcw 02 Jun 2015
In reply to alexm198:
I agree that CAF offers best money's worth and covers a range of associated sports in the insurance. Basically it is European plus Morocco wide, but needs furthe cover for worldwide. Certainly they are very friendly and helpful in the CAF Office in Cham and there will certainly be someone there who speaks English.
OP alexm198 02 Jun 2015
In reply to jcw:

Perfect. Cheers jcw, really helpful. Will probably wait until I'm out there to get insured.

I've heard you need a medical certificate too, any ideas about that? Would they accept one from a UK GP?
 jcw 02 Jun 2015
In reply to alexm198:
To the best of my knowledge they do not need a certificate. I simply renew my membership each year, but even though aged there never has been any question of that, at least for climbing, skiing and Alpinism. Being still part of the EU a UK doctor should certainly be acceptable if necessary. Sorry, I am not in Cham at present so can't help by asking them. But I have checked my policy and seen nothing implying it requires a certificate. The only situation this might be relevant would be a pre-existing medical condition. Incidentally the coverage is operated through AXA.

OP alexm198 02 Jun 2015
In reply to jcw:

Brilliant. Thanks again. I'll get a medical certificate before I leave as a precaution.

Cheers!
 randomsabreur 02 Jun 2015
In reply to alexm198:

It's a French thing, I would expect you to need a medical certificate to join a tiddlywinks club!

Very basic letter from Dr saying "fit for sport" without specifying was sufficient for sports club and gym joined during my year abroad. Was organised by the uni though and translated officially but suspect that would be overkill.
 Jerry67 03 Jun 2015
In reply to alexm198:

I'm pretty sure membership runs from October to October, so if you're there for five months you'll have to pay for 2 years of insurance.
Jeremy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...