UKC

Making own dehydrated food

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 phja 02 Jun 2015
Hi,

I'm planning on doing the TMB by camping but don't fancy paying the extortionate costs of dehydrated food. I've looked around and it seems you can make your own. Has anyone done this? Does it work well? Is it as light and calorie dense as store bought dehydrated meals? How long do they tend to keep for (i.e. sat in a backpack for a week)?

Thanks!
 tjin 02 Jun 2015
In reply to phja:

Yes you can dry food, but not freeze dry food (well atleast not easily). I used to have a dehydrator and dried things in there. But it's a hazzle and the dehydrator and energy cost money too. Also making the space it's used in uncomfortably warm. I sold my dehydrator and buy food. For short trips of the shelf knorr pasta foil packages are light and cheap.

Do note, you connot safey dry uncooked pork and beware of fatty items. They can spoil.

Properly dried items stored in a backpack for a week is no problem. if you are at home you can store the dried items in the freezer for months.

There are many websites on this subject, just google it.
 OwenM 02 Jun 2015
In reply to phja:

Yes I use a dehydrater from Lakeland plastics, veg and fruit are ok but never had any luck with meat. It's as light as brought stuff not sure about the calories I think you'll loose something. Keeps as long as shop stuff.
 d_b 02 Jun 2015
In reply to phja:

I have a dehydrator. The cheap ones (like mine) have mesh trays and aren't really suitable for drying liquids so I haven't attempted dried meals yet.

I have had good results doing things like dried apples, peppers, vegetables, tomatoes etc. and either eating them raw or using them as cooking ingredients.

A mix of dried mushrooms, peppers, aubergine and tomatoes along with a few herbs makes a good and easy pasta sauce for example.

I never bother with dried mushrooms, as you can buy good and cheap ones anywhere. One of the books I have strongly advises against onions!
 d_b 02 Jun 2015
In reply to OwenM:
I found jerky pretty easy.

Cut good quality lean steak into thin strips. Marinade in something (simple pepper, cajun seasoning and soy sauce all work well). Turn it up to about 70 degrees and don't use more than about 2 trays at once.

I think something like bolognaise or chilli would be a bit oily.
Post edited at 16:30
OP phja 02 Jun 2015
In reply to phja:

Thanks for the responses. Probably will try and dehydrate beef or chicken along with some veg and fruit and add it to noddles as a quick meal.

Thanks!
 d_b 02 Jun 2015
In reply to phja:

If you are doing root vegetables then cut them up small and blanch them in boiling water first. You generally don't need to do that for fruit.

I tend to do fruit and veg at 40-50C with things like apples at the low end and things like carrots at the high end. If you go for a "stack" type design then don't forget to swap the order of trays occasionally. I find before and after work is sufficient.
Zoro 02 Jun 2015
In reply to phja:
I've found the quick cook couscous ranges from jamie oliver pretty good, although not so cheap. Ive also seen quite a few techniques for using the microwave to dehydrate meals, but ive never tried it out, it might be worth a try.
Theres always ramen noodles, and chocolate digestives, and tea!
 CliffPowys 02 Jun 2015
In reply to phja:

I have been dehydrating my own bushwalking/climbing food for years. It is simple to do and I have had excellent results with all types of food. Just bear in mind that you will need to soak main meals (stews etc) for about 40 mins before you boil them up and then leave them for a further 10mins or so. You will need to allow enough time at your camps to do this. I find my mains are tasty, filling, and keep me going well. If you want some recipes, send me a PM. You could also have a look at this: http://www.backpackingchef.com/dehydrating-food.html
 Sharp 03 Jun 2015
In reply to phja:

Second the beef jerky, very tasty and easy to make. When I did it I threaded the beef onto long wooden skewers then hung in a very low over with the door open till dry but bendy. Make sure you cut the meat against the grain of the muscle fibres or it'll be tough as old boots.
mountmarcus 05 Jun 2015
In reply to phja:

Im not familiar with dehydrated food?... though I guess raisins are dry. Do they still have all the nutrients in them?
 Bob 05 Jun 2015
In reply to mountmarcus:

> Im not familiar with dehydrated food?

An odd statement since a decent proportion of packaged foods in supermarkets are dehydrated.

They have most of the nutrients remaining. Commercially and domestically dehydration is essentially low temperature roasting, in hotter countries the foods would traditionally be laid out to dry in the sunshine, hence "sun dried tomatoes" etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...