UKC

Met or MWIS. Weather watching!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 03 Jun 2015
Trying to catch sunlight.

Forecast for Thursday:

MWIS: percipitation unlikely (Southern Cairngorms)
MET: chance of precipitation 80% for heavy rain for a significant period (1-8pm) in Southern Cairngorms

Well, I'm thinking of delaying my two days off to next week, hoping to catch two consecutive days of good weather

Also MWIS says: Into next week, a good deal of dry weather is expected as high pressure is likely to build across the British Isles, and temperatures will rise slowly.
 Joak 03 Jun 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

For my pre weekend working rostered rest day tomorrow I'm using the optimistic MWIS forecast to motivate me into packing a sack just now before I head out on my backshift, whilst at the same time being prepared for the pessimistic Met office conditions on the hill. Regardless of what mother nature throws at me I will return home feeling refreshed and ready for a hectic weekend at work.
 malky_c 03 Jun 2015
In reply to Flinticus:
> Also MWIS says: Into next week, a good deal of dry weather is expected as high pressure is likely to build across the British Isles, and temperatures will rise slowly.

It said that about this week!
aultguish 03 Jun 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

If you wait on the weather up here in Scotland, then you'll just turn into a couch cabbage.
OP Flinticus 03 Jun 2015
In reply to aultguish:
I've had lots of good runs with the weather. Many amazing days out thanks to the ability to amend plans at the last minute, not having to commit to train tickets, B&Bs and other commitments. At the moment, my boss is unusually very flexible with amending holidays so...

I know it is tricky but when you've got a limited number of days off per year and traditionally it does get better heading into June. I'm taking the chance!

There will be sun.

Edit: I don't mind a day walk in iffy weather but I am particularly focused on getting a nice high camp, not sitting in a tent listening to the rain outside and getting up to wetness and clag. Enough of that!
Post edited at 10:53
aultguish 03 Jun 2015

I had a client two days ago in the Killin area. The idea was to head up Ben Lawers etc, however, the rain, snow, clag and wind wasn't going to make for a very nice hill day.
I persuaded her to try a long woodland walk, taking in the wonders of the Scottish wildlife (not the Saturday night Glaswegian style).
She had, by her own words, an absolutely amazing time. Woodpecker feeding its chick, goshawk flying low through the trees, a pond packed with newts, a very brave baby thrush, an inquisitive roe deer, a dead roe deer, amongst other bits and bobs.
We arrived back at the hotel, to find a lot of expensively clad hill goers doing nothing due to the rain, what a shame.
Mind, they still had their wildlife fix, the hotel is frequented by a pine marten.....lucky barstewards!
OP Flinticus 03 Jun 2015
In reply to aultguish:

One of my recent best walks from a pleasure point of view was that unchallenging ascent of Beinn na Lap. I did the whole hill, from, west to east (not doubling back), with no rush, having achieved the goal (the 'tick') early on in the walk and headed down to camp on the shores of Loch Ossian even though I could have, at a push made the train home.

Sod all wildlife but lots of green, growing stuff and trees and lichen covered rocks and clouds and distant rain storms to watch and marvel at.
 gilliesp 03 Jun 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

I have noticed real clashes in forecasting between these two....last few days especially. The phrase 'low confidence' used by MWIS. However they don't seem to use the same forecast/hymn sheet! I was enticed towards NW next few days by MWIS until I saw Met Office f'cast. Now heading for Lakes as some concensus between them for that location.
 Simon Caldwell 04 Jun 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

> Now heading for Lakes as some concensus between them for that location.

For the Lakes on Saturday, Met Office say it's going to be basically dry and sunny, with winds up to 25mph. MWIS says frequent showers, maybe thunder/lightning, low cloud, and winds gusting to 60-mph...
OP Flinticus 04 Jun 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

That discord has not yet abated even for today's forecast: still Met predicting heavy rain (especially west over Glen Shiel where I originally planned to go) though MWIS now saying 'small risk a litte rain' rather than 'unlikely'.

Here's hoping some some consensus on a positive forecast next week.
 Marek 04 Jun 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

I've always assumed that the Met Office (and its derivatives like the BBC) adds some 'wet bias' to their public forecasts. They usually seem somewhat pessimistic compared to say yr.no (my preferred forecast source). Not done any really analysis on which is more accurate - just a gut feel.
 Joak 04 Jun 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

For my walk along Killin's Tarmachan ridge today the Met Office (and the BBC) were spot on, lots of low cloud, drizzle and light rain from early morning. The MWIS were way of the mark.
OP Flinticus 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Haha! Triumph! Deferring my two days off hit gold. Two beautiful days (no rain, extensive sunshine, v light winds, no midge trouble, no crowds) up at Glen Shiel.

Walked from Shiel Bridge up the ridge to Biod an Fhithich, to the Forcan Ridge, The Saddle, to Sgurr na Sgine. Camped there and then onto Sgurr a Bhac Chaolais & Buidhe Bheinn before heading down.

The only downer was catching the 12:39 bus home only to find it just went two stops towards Glasgow before heading to Inverness so I had a four hour wait at The Cluaine Inn! Still, a couple of pints & chips in the sunshine... there are worse things.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...