UKC

/ Anyone done any mountaineering the the Altai mountains?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Arbu 04 Jun 2015
Continuation of earlier post which has been archived.

I'm going 30th June to 11th July. http://7summits-club.com/programs/all/region_3/country_169/program_284/

I'm having to get vaccinations for tick borne encephalitis which is a bit of a bore, but apart from that it doesn't seem too hard to organise. There are flights direct from Moscow to Gorno-Altaysk now which save a long drive from Barnaul.
 girlymonkey 04 Jun 2015
In reply to Arbu:

I haven't, but hope to next year, so I will be keen to hear all about your trip!
I am currently doing my dissertation for an MSc in Translation with Russian and French. My dissertation is a large translation project, where I am creating a book about people's adventures in the Altai mountains. I am translating a few trip reports from a few disciplines and translating a bit of an overview of outdoor pursuits in the area too. As such I have quite a lot of information at my finger tips, even if no personal experience, so may be able to help with some things.
OP Arbu 12 Jun 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Well I have a couple of days free in Tyungur before the trip starts, if you know of any good walks to do I'd be pleased to hear or I think there may be some ancient rock art I can go and see. Also I'm thinking of going to Mongolia after the climb, I don't know how good the transport links are.
 Lucy Wallace 12 Jun 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Not been but its something I dream about and distract myself with....-I've tried to persuade a couple of others (inc husband) but as yet nobody has jumped up and down about it. Perhaps they are a little intimidated by the lack of info. Would be very interested in reading your dissertation and hearing about other's experiences.
 pass and peak 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Arbu:

Can,t speak about the mountains and this info is 5 years old, but if you have time in Barnaul, best place for a pint of Guinness or any food beer etc is "Bar 1300" 5 min walk from Hotel Barnaul (which I expect you'll be at) Also if you have time head down to the beaches on the river Aub, other side of the bridge. Also there's options of taking a train south as far as Gorno Altaysk, about half way, other wise your talking in 15hr bus trip, not so bad private bus but hell on local transport.
 girlymonkey 16 Jun 2015
In reply to Snoweider:

I have been away and only just noticed this thread again. I am hoping to get out next year, if you would like to join us on a trip out then we can keep in touch about it? I can't really start planning anything properly until after my dissertation is in, but I can certainly send you a copy when it is done
 girlymonkey 16 Jun 2015
In reply to Arbu:

The difficulty of going to Mongolia is likely to be visa / border passes. I have no idea how easy this will be, but maybe worth a call to the embassy in advance to find out.
I will look through my various books and see what I can find around Tyungur
 Lucy Wallace 17 Jun 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

ooooo... YHM

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...