UKC

What are the best supports or insoles for climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mountmarcus 05 Jun 2015
Hey Guys I am pretty new to climbing (just started a couple months ago). However does everyone have problems with their feet and ankles at first? Mine are really hurting a throbbing and I dont know if it is just growth pains from my feet and ankles strengthening up or whether I am over doing it and could be developing a injury. My first thought was to buy some sort of support to help like an ankle support or even some insoles or something?
I heard that you can get custom insoles to help align your feet better... however I was then put off by other saying that these things can actually damage your feet as they can make your feet weaker and reliant on the support from the insoles.. which kind of make sense.. but my feet and ankles are really uncomfortable when I climb and I im pretty sure its not normal. Should I see how things go? and maybe buy some cheap cushioning insoles to stop shock maybe? I was thinking on the lines of getting this pair maybe.. http://nuovahealth.co.uk/shop/new-premium-orthotic-sport-insoles (I think I need to get the choice right before I buy because If I buy some dodgy ones they could make things a lot worse for me) what are your thoughts?

LastBoyScout 05 Jun 2015
In reply to mountmarcus:

You may be overdoing it, if you've only just started, as your feet aren't used to the strain of supporting your bodyweight using small holds in very thin shoes.

Back off and give it time to build up.

Innersoles won't help - assuming you could even get them in climbing shoes.

If your shoes aren't a good fit, that also won't help and you could possibly try something a bit stiffer to start with - look for "board lasted" rather than "slip lasted" - assuming anything's still made like that, it's been a while since I bought new shoes.

mountmarcus 05 Jun 2015
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it!

I will see how things go and look into some proper climbing shoes as at the moment I am only wearing some nike trainers. My ankles are really stick thin could that be a problem?
Removed User 05 Jun 2015
In reply to mountmarcus:

Are you remembering to take your climbing shoes off periodically? Lots of people seem to wear them for an entire session when starting out, which ain't good for your feet - or the shoes, for that matter.

Insoles won't be any good in climbing shoes, but if you have a bit of mis-alignment in your joints they might help more generally. I've had good results from Superfeet, though they're not the cheapest.

I'm a fan of walking barefoot where possible, too, though maybe this isn't helpful if you have postural problems.
 LastBoyScout 05 Jun 2015
In reply to mountmarcus:

> Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it!

Pleasure

> at the moment I am only wearing some nike trainers.

There's part of your problem - they're not designed for climbing, so your feet will have to work extra hard to compensate for the thick soles and increased leverage and lack of grip of your foot inside the shoe.

Get some climbing shoes soon, if you're keen to carry on.

> My ankles are really stick thin could that be a problem?

Unlikely.
 GrahamD 05 Jun 2015
In reply to mountmarcus:

I think the Nike trainers are more likely to be the problem than thin ankles ! climbing shoes are designed to put your foot into an arch position with is a inherently more stable than being flat, as you get in trainers. They are designed not to be worn with insoles - just thin socks if you prefer.
 alasdair19 06 Jun 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

i dont think beginner climbing shoes put your feet into an arch position. Only my pointier more expensive ones do that and i find it initially uncomfortable. The OP is likley to find hiring shoes rather climbing in his Nikes to help.

I remember reading that walking around the house bear foot was good for strengthening the feet seems to work for me.
 GrahamD 08 Jun 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

I find even my 'beginner shoes' (assuming they are the right size) do a better job of holding the foot in a more supporting position than trainers ever can. Maybe its just me or my shoe choice.
 Fraser 08 Jun 2015
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

> Insoles won't be any good in climbing shoes...

Actually, I almost always use half length insoles in my climbing shoes. They're cut-down ones from a regular pair of shoes (I only use the heel end half ) and are quite stiff. I use them predominantly where the top of the ankle of my rock shoes sits quite high relative to my ankle bone and I want to raise my heel a touch. They really just act as a volumiser for the back half of my foot and doesn't affect the fit of the more crucial front part of the shoe.
 jon 08 Jun 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

> walking around the house bear foot

That'll be on all fours, occasionally standing up on your hind legs to scare the children?

deepsoup 08 Jun 2015
In reply to jon:
Stopping every once in a while for a big pause. (Big paws?)

I'll get my coat...
 jon 08 Jun 2015
In reply to deepsoup:
> I'll get my coat...

Get mine too while you're about it...
Post edited at 17:00
 Trangia 08 Jun 2015
In reply to jon:

I suspect that the problem is trainers, as others have said they are not designed for climbing.

One thing though - do you have flat feet? If so, that may be the problem. I ask because I have flat feet and lack of arch support causes me the symptoms you describe, although it's more of a problem with walking boots than climbing shoes. I have combated it by using Orthosole Arch Supports which at £25 a time are not cheap! I haven't tried them in rock shoes and as others have said this may be difficult due to the tight fit, but you could experiment with larger shoes to accommodate the insoles.

If you have got flat feet it might be worth consulting a qualified chiropodist or similar first before lashing out £s on insoles, although ultimately it may boil down to trial and error.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...