UKC

Quick Gel Shiel route question: answered needed urgently

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 08 Jun 2015
Off Wednesday / Thursday

Has anyone descended Sgurr na Sign to the bealach to Sgurr a'Bhac Chaolais?

I hear its steep but read a report on its ascent (follow dry stone wall towards SW spur and ascend that). Would reversing that be OK (with overnight pack) or foolhardy?
 Mark Bull 08 Jun 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

I've been up that way: should be fine in descent. You can see the wall clearly in this shot: https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulsammonds/15898802552

Simon Caldwell 08 Jun 2015
In reply to Flinticus:
You need to descend the SW ridge for a few hundred metres first, then cut back NW, either following the wall or not. You can see it here http://climbing.me.uk/Kintail0612/South%20Glen%20Shiel%20Ridge%20plus%202/s...

Edit: snap!
Post edited at 17:22
 thommi 08 Jun 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Hello. We came over that way into Glen Shiel a long time ago and as far as I can remember it is steep but steady going (ie. not scrambling steep). From memory Coire Mhalagain is very very wet and boggy and hard going to the bealach. Not sure which way you are going but have a wonderful time. Its a wonderful part of scotland and coming into Glen Shiel after crossing the Knoydart from Fort William is a great return to civilisation (a garage has never been such an exiting place). Happy trails. t.

OP Flinticus 08 Jun 2015
In reply to Flinticus:
Thanks all. Looks grand. Now the question is: do I camp high and carry all that extra kit or go light and descend to camp...
Post edited at 18:23
 thommi 08 Jun 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Go light and camp high!
 Simon Caldwell 09 Jun 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Presumably the midges are coming out now the weather's improved slightly? If so then stay high
OP Flinticus 09 Jun 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Good point! I bet Glen Shiel is hell with midges. High it will be. And lightish (a pack with a tent, mat & sleeping bag will always be heavier the same without)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...