UKC

Pockets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SenzuBean 11 Jun 2015
So was climbing last week and had a great time - I like to take my camera with me on leads so that when I have a good spot I can take a few photos. It has the side effect of calming me down. Anyway, for the most part I wore a jacket and had the camera in a pocket. But it was super hot on one of the days, and I almost died from the heat - so wondering if anyone knows of anything that can solve the problem of having a pocket but not overheating.

I'm thinking either some kind of waistcoast, or some kind of tiny bag that sits on the front. I don't think a backpack would work, as majority of the time I take photos I'm in a rather exposed position and wouldn't like to faff with a backpack.
 tehmarks 11 Jun 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

One of my climbing partners dangled their (compact) camera from their harness inside a tiny little protective case the last time we did big multipitch. Seemed to do the trick quite nicely.
 Dell 11 Jun 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

These are bloody excellent: http://www.ck-magma.com/products/3-pocket-pack#.VXjdrflViNQ

I use grey one for wash kit when travelling, the black one is lightly padded, head torch goes in there, red one is my basic first aid kit, tough little pouches.
Removed User 11 Jun 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

I'd think a little camera bag clipped to your harness would do it.
In reply to SenzuBean:
Perhaps you could could wear a special belt, fitted with loops. You could then place your camera in a case fitted with its own loop and attach it to the belt via a spring loaded clipping device? I often improvise such a system using a "climbing harness", a "camera case", and devices called "karabiners" - zany I know but it seems to work. Alternatively you might superglue the camera to your forehead (take care to have the lens facing outwards).
Post edited at 08:23
OP SenzuBean 11 Jun 2015
In reply to thebigfriendlymoose:

Cheers for the 'clever' reply - but my harness is already full to the brim so wanted to avoid cluttering it any more than it already is.
 pebbles 11 Jun 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:
lots of small camera cases with straps round, cant you just sling it over your shoulder, sling stylee? I know its one more thing to dangle, but theyre not very big
OP SenzuBean 11 Jun 2015
In reply to pebbles:

That might be the best approach - I will give it a go.

Thanks for replies everyone.
 Dell 11 Jun 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

Strap gets snagged, breaks, goodbye camera.

Perhaps, if you can't fit a camera case on your harness, you might be carrying too much gear?
 galpinos 11 Jun 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

Camera case over your shoulder (but under your slings....).

Easy to whip out for a hanging stance photo of second/leader, out of the way when climbing. Bit of a bugger if chimneying though.....
In reply to SenzuBean:

I've had a special camera inserted behind my left eye, Everytime I blink it takes a picture which is stored on a hard drive I swallowed. To download the pictures I insert a well lubricated USB lead deep into my arse to get to the hard drive. Give it a go if your harness is full. Alternatively there's a secret product already mentioned and referred to by people in the know as a (looks round carefully to check I'm not being overheard!) cam er a case.
OP SenzuBean 11 Jun 2015
In reply to Dell:

> Strap gets snagged, breaks, goodbye camera.

> Perhaps, if you can't fit a camera case on your harness, you might be carrying too much gear?

I'm willing to take that risk.

And yes I might be carrying a bit much gear - but not excessive amounts I think, normally I carry a set of nuts, a set of offsets, 6 cams, 4 hexes (although sometimes I'll leave the hexes behind, or leave the big cams behind, depending on how the route looks), 10 quickdraws, 4 slings and some spare krabs for rigging.
Also perhaps more to the point, I don't want yet another dangling object at my knees.
OP SenzuBean 11 Jun 2015
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

I'm glad you managed to find an enjoyable way to take (and repeatedly retrieve) your photos.
 whenry 11 Jun 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

Doesn't sound full to the brim to me! Plenty of room for a camera, and approach shoes, and windproof...
OP SenzuBean 11 Jun 2015
In reply to galpinos:

Good to hear another vote for that approach. Indeed but often chimneys are not so photogenic anyway - so that can be lived with
 jezb1 11 Jun 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

Mine goes in one of my trouser pockets...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...