UKC

ML Experience Needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Robinson 12 Jun 2015
Hi

I'm wondering if anyone on here can help me. I'm looking to get some experience shadowing other qualified mountain leaders in order to help me gain my Summer Mountain Leader Award. I need to gain experience managing groups on steep terrain i.e. scrambling and route finding.

So as part of this I need to shadow other Mountain Leaders so I can learn from them and gain an idea of strategies and how to make the best decisions when leading groups on difficult terrain. If anyone can help please feel free to get in touch. You can email me also dm_robinson@live.com

Perhaps any dates July to Sept that you have lined up - and then I can look into putting something in the diary?

Any help will be much appreciated. I understand you are all busy people.

David
 GridNorth 12 Jun 2015
In reply to David Robinson:

Your best bet is to get in touch with some of the centres. I did this at Ogwen Cottage but it was some years ago.

Al
 Welsh Kate 12 Jun 2015

If you're not already a member, there's a very good Facebook group called UK Trainee Mountain Leaders. Despite its title, there are a lot of qualified MLs and instructors on there who often respond positively to requests like this.

Good luck with your consolidation and assessment!
 Roadrunner5 12 Jun 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

I didn't bother, I just took friends out. The main thing is time in find hills
 Lucy Wallace 12 Jun 2015
Hi David, some good suggestions above. I do get asked for this sort of shadowing experience from trainee MLs from time to time, but as a sole trader my insurance is very limited so I can't help directly. I do have some observations/advice that might be of interest.

You don't have to take groups of strangers out to gain the kind of soft skills that help with leading groups in steep terrain. Friends and family who are not regular hill walkers make great guineapigs- perhaps you'll get even them on to a new hobby.

The hardskills- ropework etc will not be practiced in a "normal" day, so shadowing other leaders won't help you gain these skills. I'd recommend a day out with an MIA, to brush up on these if you are unsure.

When you come to your assessment, the key steep ground stuff that you need to be hot on will be- route choice, when to "spot" or offer physical assistance, when to get the rope out and selecting safe simple anchors.

Many folk get quite stressed about the steep ground side of things but it really is just common sense. Be safe and keep it simple. Navigation on the other hand- practice that untill you are dreaming in contour lines!

*Edit- re-read your post above and have mulled it over some more- on the subject of strategies- I'm not sure exactly what you mean but thinking about my own practice I'd be working to the ability of the group- so I would observe their footwork and confidence on easier terrain before getting in to steeper stuff. I'd also generally take the easiest line (obvious), but avoid loose stuff if possible to prevent kicking it down on others etc. Working with small groups only on steep terrain is essential. Sometimes I'll lead, sometimes at the back, depends on the terrain and whether going up or down hill. Also worth pointing out the obvious, that the ML is a walking award.
Post edited at 14:55
 PN82 12 Jun 2015

Agree with some of the points already raised, the facebook group for trainee mountain leaders is a good place to find like minded people.

I recommend joining a walking club/meet up group too, you get to meet and learn from people who perhaps may not have any formal qualifications but years of experience. You can also learn to prepare, organise and lead walks of your choice, putting the softer skills and technical skills to practice. On these walks you will get a mixed bag of people so is good practice for when you pass.

Try walking with as many different types of people from different backgrounds as possible because as a moutain leader there will be days when you will walk with people who have never been up a mountain before one day, the next you may be guiding people who have been walking since before you were born.

Walking with friends and family is ok but don't rely on that as the bulk of your led walks as you can get too comfortable with same people and you aren't really furthering your skills or experience.

As for strategies, these are gained by getting out and walking lots in different terrain, times of year, different weather, with different groups of people. I sometimes post walks on the trainee facebook page where people can come along and assist, feel free to tag along!

Best of luck and enjoy getting out in the hills lots!

Thank you for the advice and suggestions.

I have done my assessment and was deferred. The recommendation before reassessment was to get mountain days with other experienced walkers, and also to go out and shadow other Mountain Leaders taking out groups and watch and learn about what they do to manage the groups - on steep ground. I've done one day with a group and I actually did find it good experience, seeing what kinds of things they said to the group, where they positioned themselves and what decisions they made.

I have wrote to a few centres but had mixed responses from - "no we don't do shadowing" to "yes" - but then not followed up with any dates I could join them. So hoped to get a better response here.

I'll take your points though and see how I get on.

Dave
 Roadrunner5 14 Jun 2015
So If you wondered onto kinder at night.. Could you find for example the downfall?

If you can't then you Failed off that...Be 120% happy in snow rain dark on ml terrain..

Learn to recognize every squiggle of a contour
Post edited at 03:56
In reply to Welsh Kate:

my membership to this group is still pending so if you can authorise it that would be appreciated.
 Welsh Kate 22 Jun 2015

Sorry, David, has to be approved by a group admin, and I'm not one. How long ago did you put a request in?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...