UKC

15 peaks partner (Welsh 3000s)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 carneddau 15 Jun 2015
Looking to attempt the 15 peaks this summer. Ideally targeting just under 12 hours. Would like to hook up with someone to complete the challenge.
Am pretty confident about the route as have done most of it in sections. Am looking at starting on Snowdon and then finishing on Foel Fras. Only bit I am debating is the quickest way down from Crib Goch to the Llanberis Pass (and I am ruling out jumping off!)
One car left at Abergwyngregyn, one car left at Llanberis and some scoff stashed somewhere near Ogwen. Anyone up for it????
In reply to carneddau:

do you have a date in mind?
OP carneddau 15 Jun 2015
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

thanks for reply - sundays always best for me - am looking at July 26th or August 23rd.
In reply to carneddau:

I can't do July but could do August. Do you do any fell running?
OP carneddau 15 Jun 2015

Yeh, I am a fell runner. But I reckon it is possible to get under 12 hours at a fast walking pace. So would maybe run part of the Carneddau section if this was looking in doubt. I'm not looking to completely bust my guts - maybe that's for another time!! How about you?
In reply to carneddau:

Yeah though (any) running has taken a back seat to prevent injury for a trip so I'll be keen to get back to it when I get back in August. Very keen to do it under 12 hrs and I agree it's fairly acheivable at a steady pace.

RE crib Goch - it's best to descend north ridge and down via cwm glas mawr to Ynys Ettws.
OP carneddau 16 Jun 2015

Hi - am happy to pencil in August 23rd, my e-mail is skidder@btinternet.com to talk further.

Cheers
Mark
 Roadrunner5 16 Jun 2015

> Yeah though (any) running has taken a back seat to prevent injury for a trip so I'll be keen to get back to it when I get back in August. Very keen to do it under 12 hrs and I agree it's fairly acheivable at a steady pace.

> RE crib Goch - it's best to descend north ridge and down via cwm glas mawr to Ynys Ettws.

No its not.. its quickest to return to bwlch coch and descend.
In reply to Roadrunner5:

I actually hadn't considered that option though it's probably only 15 min difference though depending how busy it is.
 Roadrunner5 17 Jun 2015

It doesnt save that much, maybe even 10 minutes, but if on a fast run it matters.

CD went that way on the record, but they filmed him (afterwards) going the North Ridge, so it is presumed that is the fastest route.. plus he ran with rocks marked with tissue papers..

I never worked out the fastest line from BC to Ynys Ettws... everyone had their own preference.
 Graeme Hammond 17 Jun 2015
In reply to carneddau:

Did it in 14hours from car park to carpark, or under 12 summit to summit with no running. We went up snowdon via crib goch then decent via the valley just below the half way station that takes you straight down to nant peris (first food dump) seems to work well.
 Roadrunner5 17 Jun 2015
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

you must mean clogwyn? half way is way too low.
Removed User 17 Jun 2015
In reply to carneddau:

Myself and a pal did it last July. Chuffin boiling hot day, think I lost half my body weight in sweat. Still us old timers managed 11hours 50mins from Pen-y-Pass to Aber falls car park.

Re; the best way to Nant Peris. We simply followed the railway down to Clogwyn station and then dropped off into the corrie which leads down to the bridge near Gwastadnant. Even found a path lower down.
 Roadrunner5 17 Jun 2015
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

Sounds like the route we always used when guiding the 15 peaks. It's quick and safe.
 tinker 17 Jun 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Would you go that way only if you'd committed the heresy of starting on Crib Goch? Or would you backtrack over Crib y Ddysgl after starting with Snowdon-CyD-CG?

For anyone who wasn't totally familiar with the CG north ridge / Cwm Glas descent route it sounds like a good idea, have to say.
 Roadrunner5 17 Jun 2015
In reply to tinker:

Only after starting on snowdon would you descend from bwlch coch. If starting on CG just carry on to clogwyn and down.

I think any start is fine. Summit to summit is faster starting at snowdon.
pwestman 28 Jun 2015
In reply to carneddau:

If you are still pushing ahead with this, I'd be interested in joining as well. I've done all of the route several times, and was with a group for earlier in May but had to drop out to injury
OP carneddau 29 Jun 2015
In reply to pwestman:

Hello - yeh, planning to go for August 23rd if you are ok with that date. Under 12 hours is the aim. You would make it 3 people, which is fine. Contact me at skidder@btinternet.com.

Cheers
Mark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...