UKC

MH Trango 2 Poles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NottsRich 16 Jun 2015
I've had a Trango 2 for ages and love it, but the poles annoy me. Why are the ferrules that join the poles not glued in place on one side of the joint?

For at least two of the poles, you have to fold them in a specific way in order to get the smallest packed length. This means that for each joint you collapse, you have to work out (or remember) which side of the 'fold' the ferrule should be on. Even on nice days it's a PITA, let alone bad weather.

Why aren't they bonded/pressed into place?
Are other tents like this? Is there a reason?
What would be the best way of semi-permanently attaching the ferrules in place? (Allowing for future repairs if necessary?)
 jimbob1992 16 Jun 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

Not got any experience with this I'm afraid... however it may be worth getting in touch with Scottish Mountain Gear? They may be able to help or suggest a semi-permanent fix? I've always found Tom and Miguel really helpful. Worth five minutes dropping them an email I'm sure.
 hokkyokusei 16 Jun 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

> Are other tents like this? Is there a reason?

My MH Spire 2.1 is the same. I don't know the reason.
OP NottsRich 17 Jun 2015
In reply to both:

I've emailed MH - will let you know what they say.

I need to speak to SMG about something else anyway. If MH don't come back with anything useful I'll ask them about the poles as well.

LucaC 17 Jun 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

In nearly 5 years of using my Trango 2, I can't say it has ever bothered me. They pack up so big the saving of a few cm of length seems pretty irrelevant!
OP NottsRich 17 Jun 2015
In reply to LJC:

It's not so much the pack size, but the fact that if only one pole is in it's long 'setting' then it is more prone to damage than if they're all the same length.

Do you not find it annoying when you pull a pole section apart and the ferrule comes out of both sections? Or one section completely and partly out of another section, leading to an increased risk of crack the end of the pole section? It's not happened to me, but from a year's experience of fixing broken tent poles it wouldn't surprise me.

Either way, glad it doesn't both you. Do you know why it's like that though?
OP NottsRich 23 Jun 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

This was the useful reply from MH in case anyone is interested:

Dear xxxx,

That is intentionally the way the poles were supposed to be designed and are currently designed. This makes pole repairs easier.

Thanks,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...