UKC

Routes in Banff national park - suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RocKalina 16 Jun 2015
Hi,
My partner and I are going to Canada, Banff national park, next month and I am wondering whether anyone has been there and has some suggestions.
I fell in love with the look of mt. Louis and would like to do homage to a spider....for example.
What about camping? We rented a biggish car, so we can sleep in the back but we are also taking tent etc.

Any ideas and suggestions appreciated.
 jcw 17 Jun 2015
In reply to RocKalina:

The Back of the Lake (Louise) is a must and quick approach while Grassi is climbable in the wet. Multi pitch limestone recommendations at 5.8: Grey Waves on Kid Goat is very pleasant, while Three Roofs- Sea of Dreams combination on Guides Rock, Cory Mt is worth a visit. Gooseberry is not very good but can save the day if the weather is not great. The real must is Bonanza on the Ghost River, real wilderness and requires a good 4 wheel vehicle to get over The Big Hill, but very sustained steep 5.8 climbin, 7 pitches, and a great place.

I thought Raptop on Eeor well worthwhile. It is graded 5.10c but there is only one move and most cheat by using the bolt. In which case it is generally 5.10a and an excellent climb. But Eeors tail, not for me! There's lots of sports climbing around the place too.
Enjoy
 pjcollinson 17 Jun 2015
In reply to RocKalina:

We were out there 5 years ago and did quite a bit from Canmore which is just down the road from Banff. Did lots at Wasootch and found "Sports Climbs in the Canadian Rockies" published by Rocky Mountain Books to be really helpful. I can recommend Vertical Addiction in Canmore as a good shop who gave us plenty of useful local advice.
 Tyler 18 Jun 2015
In reply to RocKalina:

Cardiac Arete (picture on my gallery) is,one of the best routes I've ever done

Calski 18 Jun 2015
In reply to RocKalina:
Hi, might be worth emailing Yanmuska Mountain Guides based in Canmore...
 George Ormerod 18 Jun 2015
In reply to RocKalina:

Banff Rock by Chris Perry and and Bow Valley Sport are the two guides you'll mainly need (assuming you're not going Alpine Climbing).

There's some data and topos on the TAVBAR site:

http://www.tabvar.org/

Or you can download the full (old and out of out of print) Bow Valley Rock here - this has Kidd Goat in it:

http://www.banffrock.ca/

As for kipping in your car, it's illegal and pretty tricky to find somewhere you won't be rumbled in BNP - though you could sleep in the Lake Louise overflow on Highway 1 at a push. It's free, has bogs, but no water and is a bit grim being right on the road. The problem is that campsites are mostly set up for fat-bastard RVs and fill up quickly in the summer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...