UKC

HR monitor / activity tracker

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi all
I am wanting to get mankini body fit. I want a HR monitor or activity tracker that works with my iphone and links the data to Fitness Pal or Map My Run.

So I am looking to get something that does the above. I have no intention of running a marathon, I hate running. I will be doing mostly HIIT training and core strength exercises. So can anybody recommend a good product, or equally say "dont get this, I did, its rubbish"?

Cheers
 Sam W 19 Jun 2015
In reply to stucknortherner:

I've got a Wahoo TICKR, connects to phone via Bluetooth, works well with Strava.

I just got a Geonaute from Decathlon

£27 and it works well with Strava and an iPhone 5s

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/cardio-bluetooth-smart-40-id_8288269.html
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

Strava can link to the iPhone Health App and My Fitness Pal so calories burned will be credited to MFP.
 wilkesley 20 Jun 2015

Having used both Garmin and Polar HRM straps, I got fed up of the faff involved in attaching them and making sure I had enough gel on the strap to make them work. I have just bought a Mio Link wrist strap. Not cheap (£75), but so far seems to work fine and much less faff than a chest strap.
Ady Short 21 Jun 2015

check out the dcrainmaker site, he does some excellent reviews and points out the limitations, with wrist worn activity devices the HR functions tend to be a bit bad when actually doing strenuous activities, they are better paired with a strap or arm worn HR device, MIO do one and there is one called Rorsch i think that he reviews. One device that does look quite good is the Garmin FENIX 3 which does have HR but it ain't cheap at around £270 or so. I ended with a Garmin Vivosmart and I would recommend setting your own pace length if you want to track steps, it is also ANT+ and bluetooth smart so can pair with any 3rd party devices, I do have to stick it in my rucksack when hiking though as trekking poles skew the step count. It works fine with MyFitnessPal and syncs to my iphone, does the sleep tracking thing (never enough of that) and there is a web site log in where you can get much more detail and what you've been up to. I would suggest Garmin and Fitbit are probably leading the activity tracking market currently but it's pretty fluid and fast paced.
In reply to wilkesley:

Gel?

Never used the stuff and I have been using HRMs for over 10 years.
 radddogg 24 Jun 2015
The market leader is fitbit. I have a fitbit surge - pricey at £200 but you get what you pay for. If you want GPS for running or cycling then this is the one, if not then the fitbit charge HR is cheaper at £120.

Microsoft Band is amazing concept but flawed design and execution. The 2nd gen version might be a contender if they release one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...