UKC

Hollentalangerhutte - Zugspitze

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
hcmcsec 22 Jun 2015
We are climbing Zugspitze in the summer via the Hollental route and had intended to stay overnight at the Hollentalangerhutte (refuge) on the way up. But according to their website the refuge is shut for refurbishment - the old one was closed and the new one is not open until late summer 2015, after we are going out to Germany.

So another option is to go from top to bottom via the same route but in one day.

Has anyone been up this route straight from Hamersbach without staying in the hut part way up? How long did it take?

Any advice from people who have been up this route would be great thanks.
miho 22 Jun 2015
In reply to hcmcsec:

I have done it only with the stay at the hut. Once it was no big deal and another time I carried too much stuff and found it harder than expected.
It's about 2200m of ascend with a good strectch of via ferrata. It very much depends on your fitness and the weight you carry. Are you plannng to stay at the top for the night (I recommend it) or head back down on the cable car the same day? The cable car service stops quite early, IIRC at about 4-5pm.

I'd give it a go on a day with lots of daylight hours, little luggage and stable weather. Otherwise I'd consider an alternative route like from Ehrwald or via the Reintal.

Cheers
Mike

cb294 22 Jun 2015
In reply to hcmcsec:
I did Hammersbach to the summit in 6h 30 min with my then 12 year old daughter, and once in roughly 6h alone. The stopover at Höllentalangerhütte is totally pointless. Just start at the bottom sixish, and you will be fine (and you will able to go through the gorge for free!). If you want to go up and down in a day, descent will be quickest via the Ehrwald normal route, and there are regular buses and trains back to Garmisch. Alternatively you can go down Reintal to Partenkirchen and stop at one of the huts over there. Very romantic scenery in the middle section but rather long.

CB

IIRC, for the individual sections I would look at 45 min to the gorge, 30 min through the gorge, 30 min to the hut from the gorge exit. The guidebook/signpost times are something like 1h to the gorge entrance and another 1h 30min to the hut, but you are likely to be faster. Crossing the Höllentalanger and going up the final ferrata is OK as well, but make sure you don´t lose too much time between the lower ferrata ("Brett") and the glacier. This section can really drag on especially in hot weather, as you will start feeling the height if not acclimatized and it large goes across talus and moraine rubble.
In nice weather you could also bivy at the end of the Höllentalanger and start with the lower ferrata section right away, if you want a less stressful ascent.
Post edited at 19:47
 sbc_10 23 Jun 2015
In reply to hcmcsec:

If you are definitely using the cable car to return from the summit then it is adviseable to purchase the ticket from the valley beforehand.
I have done the route twice and arrived at the summit minutes (!) before the last cable down. They are not best pleased to sell tickets when all the tills are locked up. The second time we were made to buy tickets from the office at the the lower station after we had descended.
Its a great route though. Can take longer than you think if there is low cloud on the snow field/glacier section and if the VF is busy.

SBC
 MSchobitz 23 Jun 2015
In reply to hcmcsec:

I've done that tour about 10 times - as it is one of the nicest and most varied tours in the area - usually from the bottom to the top in a day. I'd say doing it in 6hrs is normal, though I've heard of 'guidebook' times of up to 12hrs, but have managed to do it in 3:30 myself, without running.

I know that many people now bivy by the construction site - there is a large, flat plateau region. If you do do it in a day, I'd recommend leaving the parking lot in Hammersbach before first light. The 'toll' to the Höllentalklamm tends to open around 6:30-7, which will force you to pay a unnecessary fee (also, if you leave as early as possible, you'll only get a mild heat stroke when crossing the scree slopes before the glacier

You might also want to check with local guides about the condition of the glacier - most people don't rope and only a few use crampons, if the conditions allow it. A good company to call/email about this would be vivalpin.de

As to the route itself, it is, as I said, one of the best and most varied tours in the area. Starts through a wonderful gorge, then up along a nice plateau, then a small via ferrata, then a rather gruesome scree section, then a glacier and final a longer via ferrata. And be sure to prepare yourself for the culture shock when topping out into crowds of tourists staring at you as if you were an alien.
 Babika 23 Jun 2015
In reply to hcmcsec:

I've only done it with the Hut and it was fabulous rather than "totally pointless". A hut meal of wild boar and watching the sun set over the mountain while relaxing, all rather wonderful.

The times of 6 hours quoted by folk are fine provided you don't want to do what I did which is a) stop and take lots of photos in the gorge b) paddle in the stream c) have a picnic on the glacier d) take loads of photos on the fun bits of the via ferrata and e) spend a good time enjoying the weird tourist atmosphere of the summit

Its a great route and I would really recommend enjoying it, maybe with a bivi, rather than just dashing up and down like a mountain race. The cable car does indeed stop quite early if you take it down.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...