UKC

Dream of white horses, how long to dry?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Ebbutt 24 Jun 2015
Going To Gogarth for the first time and wondered how long routes take to dry after rain?
ThanK you in advance
Chris
pasbury 24 Jun 2015
In reply to chris ebbutt:

Pretty quickly at this time of year especially if it's breezy.

However I can confirm from personal experience that Dream does go in the wet (and I didn't have many grades in hand either).

it dries pretty quickly though it can get stay wet for a bit where it cuts through concrete chimney. Take a spare layer as it can be quite chilly. Also, make sure you have a wee before abseiling in - it's no fun trying to take a leak with an updraught; your partner won't like you for it! speaking from experience.
 dr_botnik 24 Jun 2015

It's better when the winds howling and the holds are damp. Totally adds to the "experience". Bet it's well rubbish in august with a calm sea.
 BenTiffin 24 Jun 2015
As mentioned, at this time of year, it will be dry. However, in winter the seep at the start of the descent to the traverse on the final pitch can be somewhat un-neraving to second!!!
OP Chris Ebbutt 25 Jun 2015

Looking forward to rubbish dry and calm conditions then.
Thanks for posting the information, getting very excited at the prospect of a classic route.
Cheers Chris
 David Coley 25 Jun 2015

Chris, make sure you do Gogarth as well.
 Ciderslider 25 Jun 2015

Chris,

If it"s your first time at Gogarth don"t get too intimidated by the whole setting - I found getting along the path over the cliff far worse than the climb itself. The main abb point will take you straight down to a ledge which you can high tide start from.
The climbing is all very straightforward and gear good. Make sure you have an extra layer as the sun doesn't get onto the wall until later in the day ( I went from shivering to sweating )
Take plenty of time and enjoy - let us know how you get on

Cheers
Mark
Ps take loads of slings and extend everything

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...