UKC

Mount Teide, Tenerife

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 spartacus 27 Jun 2015
Got a permit to summit mount Teide next week. Any info on expected temperatures, approach and decent times gratefully accepted. Plan to do tourist route from near base of cable car.
 Run_Ross_Run 27 Jun 2015
In reply to Aztec Bar:

Do you need a pass to summit it?

On holiday to Tenerife next year with the family and the wife wanted to go up teide, wasn't aware of a pass.
 Dell 27 Jun 2015
In reply to Aztec Bar:

Don't think you need a pass for the regular tourist thing up the cable car. Just if you want to walk/climb to the top.
In reply to Dell:

Correct. Or it was when I did it, though that was a few years back now. The permit gets you past the wardens and up the last 100m or so. We had to go to the offices of the national park (?) in Santa Cruz to pick it up, I'd be suprised if there wasn't an email option now,

Cheers
Gregor
 Mike-W-99 27 Jun 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:
Yes, all by email now.
Don't worry about the time in the pass. It's only the pass they are interested in.

Really nice walk up from the road but get there early as parking is limited. The normal route up starts further round the road than the cable car.
Post edited at 20:18
 Fiona Reid 28 Jun 2015
In reply to prog99:

The permits for the summit are free but book up very quickly. They are available about a month in advance so make sure you book early.
 Run_Ross_Run 28 Jun 2015
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Thanks for the heads up.

Before I start searching the interweb on how to get the passes can you possibly provide a link?

Thanks

Darren
OP spartacus 28 Jun 2015
In reply to prog99:
Thanks all, useful info. Yes pass needed for last 100 meters. Distance to the top is just under 1400 vertical meters. I've got a two hour slot to be allowed to the top so I was trying to work out timings. I was planning on arriving early to get parking. According to inter web temp should be 10 to 15 degrees at that height so pleasant for walking.
Application via web site easy but they want to cross check against passports which we will take with us. I booked a month or so ago and could have any day I wanted.

OP spartacus 28 Jun 2015
In reply to Aztec Bar:
Just to clarify, no pass needed for cable car. Pass needed for actual summit.

So options are to walk from site 2km East of cable car bottom station a climb of about 1400 meters on foot with permit and summit or do touristy thing on cable car to within 100 meters of summit with or without permit.

Fiona Reid 28 Jun 2015
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

> Before I start searching the interweb on how to get the passes can you possibly provide a link?

Hopefully this will work

https://www.reservasparquesnacionales.es/real/parquesnac/usu/html/Previo-in...

Run_Ross_Run 28 Jun 2015
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Cheers. I'll give it a try.
 Fiona Reid 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

Looking at the permit booking site, it looks like you'll need to book nearly 2 months ahead. There's a spot free on June 30th, otherwise there are no places till 23rd August, mental!
 Run_Ross_Run 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Cheers.
Holiday's April next year so will start looking around end of Feb.
 misterb 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Aztec Bar:

take more clothes and windproofs than you think you will need , we went up 2 days running and the wind chill was so bad we came back down both times. it was 23-24 degrees down on the beach to give you an idea of the temperature change up there
OP spartacus 30 Jun 2015
In reply to misterb:
Thanks doing packing this morning! Also adding long sleeve top and floppy hat so don't get burnt alive.

Dell 18 Jul 2015
In reply to Aztec Bar:

How did your trip go? Any pic's? Tips? Advice?
OP spartacus 18 Jul 2015
In reply to Dell:
Great day out!
Set off from hotel in hire car 7am, mountain looked horrible swathed in dark cloud. Drive up great, set off 8.10am height about 2200 meters. Weather clear (drove through cloud on way up) temp 15 degrees little wind, daughters boyfriend as company, a very fit 30 year old.
First 4 km easy 4x4 track, turns off up mountain steeps but good zig zag track. Took 4 litres of water each which was plenty. Steady progress to refuge. Google Earth gives detailed view of path.
Lots of people met who are coming down. Lots seem to get first cable car up then walk down. Refuge 2/3 way up, path continues steeply after that. Bit like Snowden on top, lots of people in shorts and flip flops milling about. Showed permits, times wrong but they weren't bothered. 200 vertical meters to top, we were so knackered we were overtaken by several family's who had used cable car.
Summit small and spectacular, little wind, 10 degrees, last bit a slog due to altitude. Summit 3718 meters reached at 12noon, back to car 2.30 following leisurely decent.
Same path back, great day out, daughters boyfriend enjoyed himself! Photos to follow.

Great way to brighten up holiday, views and geology amazing.
OP spartacus 18 Jul 2015
In reply to Dell: more tips to follow, sorry on way out.

Dell 18 Jul 2015
In reply to Aztec Bar:

Useful info, thanks. Hoping to do same in December.
 Mikkel 18 Jul 2015
In reply to Dell:

Have attempted 2 times during the winter and both times summit have been closed due to snow.
but not sure how they will stop you if you walk up from the road.
OP spartacus 19 Jul 2015
In reply to Dell: more tips;
Park on TF21 about 2 km east of bottom of cable car. There is about 10 parking spaces at start of 4x4 track, this is obvious on Google Earth. On Google you can see where lots of people have walked shortcuts into this track and cut corners, lots of chains posts and notices now forbid this.
Easy to get burnt alive in summer due to lowish temperatures strong UV and hours out in sun. Suggest factor 50, hat and long sleeve top. Path is volcanic rubble in places, boots not trainers to prevent ankle injury. I found walking poles useful for decent. All parts to summit are now routed past hut where they check permits. Local maps available, Teide Parque Nacional 4= 1.25000 all paths clearly shown.
Given the path up is a motorway with no turn offs navigation not a problem.
It looks a bloody long way up to the top when you get out of the car!

Dell 19 Jul 2015
In reply to Aztec Bar:

Have already been up there when I was 12, on a family holiday. Almost 30 years ago. I remember it being a longish drive up. Would be very cool to return and walk it, and get some climbing in a bit lower down whilst I'm there.
So December might not be the best time to go then.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...