UKC

Yosemite accommodation options

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Abu777 29 Jun 2015
I'm heading to California at the end of July and want to spend some time in Yosemite, but as far as I can make out all the campsites are booked and hotels in the park are crazy money. Does anyone have any advice about where to stay, either camping or cheaper accommodation, with only a few weeks' notice?
 jon_gill1 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Abu777:

Camp 4 is turn up and pay but I think at that time of year you can only stay for one week.there are toilets but no showers. However you can pay 5 dollars for a shower at housekeeping camp site(alternatively go late at night and you can sometimes sneak in for free) Enjoy it, its an incredible place! 😊
OP Abu777 30 Jun 2015
In reply to jon_gill1:

Thanks for that, what's the availability like? Do you just have to turn up early doors? Is there more than one non-reservation site in the park?
 timjones 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Abu777:

> I'm heading to California at the end of July and want to spend some time in Yosemite, but as far as I can make out all the campsites are booked and hotels in the park are crazy money. Does anyone have any advice about where to stay, either camping or cheaper accommodation, with only a few weeks' notice?

Don't get sucked into having to stay in the valley. It will be cooler higher up so it's worth considering drive in campgrounds such as Porcupine Flat on the road up to Tuolomne Meadows.
 Mark Collins 30 Jun 2015
In reply to timjones:

> Don't get sucked into having to stay in the valley. It will be cooler higher up so it's worth considering drive in campgrounds such as Porcupine Flat on the road up to Tuolomne Meadows.

This is a great idea for the time of year. I was in Yosemite late April/early May last year and only allowed 7 days camping in the valley. Dropping down to a campsite in El Portal at the end of the day, for the rest of the time, and seeing the temperature gauge rise by 10 degrees, was grim for cool weather loving me.
 pencilled in 01 Jul 2015
In reply to Abu777:

White Wolf is lovely, in between Tuolomne and the Valley. There are a few quieter places to camp. Cancellations happen and slots open up all the time, you should be ok if you have a car and turn up to the Camping reservations place near Curry Village.

DanOsb 01 Jul 2015
In reply to Abu777:

Camp 4 is the only walk in campground in the valley, there is however a campground up at crane flats (west on the 120 towards oakdale) which could be a good shout if camp 4 is full. Its about 20-30 mins out of the valley.
 Offwidth 01 Jul 2015
In reply to DanOsb:

Crane flats has been reservation only for the last few years (or cancellations). I also like White Wolf but Tuolumne is better for the local climbs. Way too hot in the valley in July non?
 philhilo 01 Jul 2015
In reply to Abu777:

Gonna be hot in the Valley. You should get into Camp 4 for your 7 days if you queue from 6am, and then wait until 11am for your pitch. You can get cancellations at the other campgrounds, but need to queue to get a place in the queue (?) and then return at 2pm to see if there are any cancelleations, and then only one night stay! We stopped at El Portal/Indian Flats 30 mins drive from Yosemite village. No hastle, facilities, flexible arrangements, no bear issues. Don't get too hung up on staying in The Valley.
 cat22 01 Jul 2015
In reply to Abu777:

It's definitely a good strategy to stay just outside the park for a night, or somewhere like Porcupine Flats (which is lovely) then get into the Valley early in the morning to find a campsite. We got lucky in summer a few years ago - Camp 4 was totally full but there were several cancellations at Upper Pines. Worth asking to see what you can get.

There is also a nice hostel not far outside the park called the Yosemite Bug.
OP Abu777 01 Jul 2015
In reply to Abu777:

Thanks everyone, some great advice there! Sounds like I'll be ok anyway, I was starting to think I'd have to book a hotel outside of the park, but looks like there are plenty of camp options that will suit. What's it like for hooking up with climbing partners there? I'll be hoping to tag along with some willing participants. Is there anywhere in particular people hang out? What are the best climbing venues, if that's not a daft question (not big wall stuff, cragging or multi-pitch)?
Kipper 01 Jul 2015
In reply to Abu777:

I found ringing the Park hotline on the day (I was on honeymoon, not camping) got a list of options that they could reserve for me.
 pencilled in 01 Jul 2015
In reply to Abu777:

> What are the best climbing venues, if that's not a daft question (not big wall stuff, cragging or multi-pitch)?

Invest in a couple of mouthwatering guidebooks. Supertopo publishes really good versions of both Yosemite and Tuolomne Meadows and offers a really expansive info source online. You'll pretty soon get an idea of what you want to do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...