UKC

Dolomites season advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CaelanB 03 Jul 2015

Hello UKC!

I'm the international trip officer for St Andrews University Mountaineering club which surprisingly enough requires me to plan a climbing trip somewhere abroad. The trip has to be accessible for all experience levels at an affordable price. My first idea was the dolomites. It has a large range of small stuff for the beginner climber to learn on and spectacular walking/via ferratta for them to enjoy and then It also has some of the largest adventures in europe for the heavier hitters in the club

I've done a little research into the area and what's around, and from what I can gather the summer season starts in June. Does this mean that the classic routes on some of the larger mountains are likely to be climbable by june time? I acknowledge that you can probably do most of the smaller low lying routes in June, but are routes on stuff like the tre cima likely to be climbable in June, and if not when are they likely to be in condition by?

Also I'd be interested to hear other suggestions of great places to take the mountaineering club, they did sport climbing in Siurana last year so I'd prefer to do something different, hence why I thought the dolomites would be amazing!

Many thanks for the advice in advance
Post edited at 21:00
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 03 Jul 2015
In reply to CaelanB:

Usually it takes until mid July for the north faces to come properly into condition. However this year most stuff has been climbable from the start of June. A combination of great weather and poor snowfall over the winter.

It generally depends on the amount of snow over the winter. However most of the south facing stuff that avoids north / east facing descent gullies usually goes early in the season.

Piz Ciavazes, 1st Sella Tower, Falzarego towers, Sass Ciampac, Pompena Basso all come into condition quickly. Marmolada south face also pretty early in the season if you avoid gullies (Vinatzer / Messner etc).

I hope that helps!
 Nick_Scots 03 Jul 2015
In reply to James Rushforth:

Briancon and south of, via ferrata, multipitch granite and limestone, single pitch - limestone, granite, conglomerate etc etc. Better weather than Dolomites.
 kenr 03 Jul 2015
+1 for Briancon

OP CaelanB 04 Jul 2015

Is even stuff like the south face of the marmolada free of snow and stuff by june to a level that you could do routes like don quixote etc?
 Lloydfletch 05 Jul 2015

So are most routes in by now then? I'm going from the 9-23rd of this month, keen to avoid all snow and get something big done.

Sorry for the hijak!
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 07 Jul 2015
 Somerville 07 Jul 2015
In reply to CaelanB:

Go to dollies, buy the new rockfax book and have a blast, there is so much to do. id reccomend staying cofosco or somewhere near as its about a 10 min drive/45 min walk away from hundreds of climbs and via ferrata. also cofosco is fairly central to dollies with most stuff around 45 mins drive away.

if you want any company im here all summer.
 Trangia 07 Jul 2015
In reply to Somerville:

La Grave in the Ecrins.

Good centre, nice camp site, good shops in village. Plenty of climbing, walking and via ferattas in the area, and cable car access to some of the higher peaks.

NB I recall seeing another recent thread about local main road closures due to repairs resulting in a long diversion, so check that out first.
 Somerville 07 Jul 2015
In reply to CaelanB:

been and done the ecrins for a summer season and its amazing, ideal for a first summer alpine area however, the dollies offer some of the best via ferrata in europe and the amount of variation in climbing is vast.

if it was me id go for dollies.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...