UKC

Climbing insurance for 12 months in Ecuador

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Morgan P 05 Jul 2015

Hey all,

In the next week or two I'll be flying out to Ecuador (only had 2 weeks notice) for a job. I obviously hope to climb a lot while I'm there and so am looking for travel insurance that will cover me for my time there.

I will be arriving on a tourist visa but will be changing it to a work visa through the organisation. I don't think a work visa entitles you to any national medical coverage but thought I'd add this info just in case someone knows more than I can google!

The main two options seem to be:
BMC single trip policy
- up to 364 days
- 'rock' policy
- £884

World nomads
- up to 12 months
- covers sport, trad, scuba diving etc etc etc (Although it seems like you need to click 'add' for every activity you may do as opposed to being covered for it all like BMC)
- £464

Why is there such a big difference? I've read some bad reviews about world nomads (using anything to get out of claims) but then I feel like this could be reporter bias. You're much more likely to write a review if you've had a negative experience. Plus, more than a few are 'left passport in bag on the beach when I went swimming, it got nicked and they said they wouldn't cover me! zero stars'. But then many do seem to show issues with actually getting payouts for genuine claims.

I'm looking for advice really about what to get. Is BMC really 400 quid better? Is world nomads good/bad on paying out for claims in your experience?

Thanks in advance,
Morgan
Post edited at 01:11

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...