UKC

Mont Blanc alternative

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kingjam 10 Jul 2015
Hi

A bit of advice , I have a friend who was looking to summit Mont Blanc next week but has called it ooff due to the conditions. He is looking for a alternative challenge over same type of duration with the same type of technical standard around chamonix . He would be happy to up the cardio effort just not the technical difficulty.

The only thing I could think of that avoids much in the way of snow conditions was a traverse from the Albert premier Hut / Aguille du Tour , Orny Hut down to champex .

Couple of quick questions

1) Do you think its a reasonable plan
2_ Any alternatives you can think of
3) Any idea how you would get back from Switzerland to cham .

Thanks in advance
 jon 10 Jul 2015
In reply to kingjam:

It's a reasonable plan but not quite in the same league as summiting Mont Blanc! Also, don't be fooled by the benign appearance of the Plateau de Trient. During the heatwave of 2004ish - can't actually remember the year - it was a maze of the most enormous holes you could imagine. Getting back is easy - bus to Orsières, then train or bus to Martigny, then train to Chamonix.

A much better alternative would be something like the Gran Paradiso.
 aostaman 10 Jul 2015
In reply to jon:
Yep Gran Paradiso
OP kingjam 10 Jul 2015
In reply to kingjam:

Thanks for that makes sense

Do you think its likely conditions will be better there i.e. is it usual guide alternative when MB is out due too high temps
 jon 10 Jul 2015
In reply to kingjam:

> Do you think its likely conditions will be better there

No probably not, but it's not dangerous.

> is it usual guide alternative when MB is out due too high temps

It's a well used alternative for guides when MB is out for all sorts of reasons - usually bad/cold/wet/snowy... and for that reason it's essential to book the hut - either Chabod or Emanuele.

OP kingjam 10 Jul 2015
In reply to jon:

Many thanks Jon
 JimboWizbo 10 Jul 2015
In reply to kingjam:

Tour is a nice walk, I guess the rock at the end is a bit of a scramble, not sure if this counts as upping the technical difficulty
 MG 10 Jul 2015
In reply to kingjam:

> 3) Any idea how you would get back from Switzerland to cham .

By what mode of transport? Train from Martigny to Chamonix is the obvious choice for public transport - a dramatic route..
graham F 10 Jul 2015
In reply to kingjam:

Paradiso is the most obvious alternative near to Chamonix but if you're prepared to travel a bit further then there's the Alphubel (from Tasch hut), Rimpfischhorn, Bishorn, Weissmies, Lagginhorn or Monta Rosa. Do you have a car? No shortage of big snowy peaks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...